Our mission

Vortechs really p*ssing me off...

Balanced or not, if they're high (but balanced) you can still get precipitation out via heat (friction) if memory serves.

That being said having talked to the guy and running an idea by him, I asked if it's possible the plastic shaft could swell and as a result bind with the ceramic ring, he said absolutely (like it is something that's expected) then said friction should wear it down eventually though (which I didn't like as an answer).

I've gone through at least 3 different types of shaft/ceramic configurations from them, so they're changing things for a reason. Another thing to look at, is look at the magnet where the screw meets, it should be perfectly flush, I actually had one that was counter sunk, and that caused tons of issues, I don't know if it was a badly produced magnet, or if the screw actually dug itself into the magnet, but it did need replacing.

I had issues with my gen1 when I first purchased it about a year and a half ago. I had to send it out 2 times over the course of 2 months. It's been pretty trouble free since then. I'm almost scared to touch it......might screw everything up.

I just joined the Vortech problem club. Reveived my 2 MP40Ws April 4th. Noticed yesterday the red/green lights on one controller. Pulled it out and referred to the instructions - paper and on line. I could get the impeller screen off but everything else was frozen solid. Removed the nut for the impeller - still all frozen. I then dismantled the one that was working to see it should be. I then had to use a screwdriver to pry the magnet cover off the non-working one. Found that where the head of the screw and the cover that goes against the tank was fuse-bonded. Must have gotten real hot. It seems like the impeller is also fused to the shaft. Disappointed after less than 3 months of operation. Big expense - short service life. I'll check my alk but their design should accomodate variable reef tank conditions. Will call them tomorrow.
Jim

Yeah, sounds like you had my exact same problem. My pumps are off to Ecotech for repair now. I will be selling them off. Picked up two Tunze 6105s instead. I also miss the connection to my AC3.

Ironically, Tong and Badbread were over this morning and they haven't had an ounce of trouble. Sigh.

I do keep up with cleaning my pumps. The first Vortech failed within 30 days, the second within 60... I'm ok with cleaning pumps every three months, but if I need to do it more than that then there's a problem with the design, IMO.

Maybe I got a bad set... in any event Ecotech's service is very good, no questions asked RMA, etc. so they'll replace everything. I'm just going back to Tunze though... during a lazy period, I ran a pair of Tunze 6000s for 1 year without cleaning them and they never gave me a problem. In fact, I have both 6000s still running strong after having owned them for four-five years.

Picked up my first gen vortech on Dec. 13, 2007. Didn't clean it or pull it apart until mid-April 2009 when I finally pulled it apart to replace the wet side for the newer magnet. No problems up to then and still no problem after replacing them.

Yeah, I don't doubt that they seem to work great for most people... maybe i'm just not being patient enough or maybe I am doing somethign totally wrong assembling them... or maybe the ones I got are bunk. Anyways... i got the Tunzes already and they're a product I know well and have had good experience with, so once the replacements come in from EcoTech, off they go! :)

I contacted Vortech, sent them a picture, a description of what occured, my serial number and address. They sent me a new wet side ground shipping no charge - received it today. Back in operation. Can't complain about that. The ends of my acrylic tank where the pumps are located are 5/16" thick as best as I can tell. I adjusted the thickness setting from 3/8" to 1/4" thinking that the force at the 3/8" was too strong and caused the wet side magnet the rub the back plate. We'll see ...

Jim

i've had two mp40ws for a few months now.

the first one i got (back in feb 09) overheated one day (my apt gets hot) and instead of shutting off something happened with the driver. when i plug it in it looks like a xmas tree (all color lights).

i just sent it in today and steve over at ecotech was very helpful. i am looking at a turn around of just under 2 weeks.

the other works great. awesome pumps but i think the more tech you put into something, the more chance there is something will go wrong.

I'm crossing my fingers, but so far the Vortech has been great. I had the Gen1, so I went thru the conversion process, which was a pain, but other than that, it's been working fine. What do you guys run your pumps at? I run mine at about half or less, but maybe it's because they're run at full throttle for some, which leads to more problems. Running pumps at low and high ends of the spectrum should be less of a problem for these magnetic mixers, but I can burn out drives when running too low or high. This is actually a problem I dealing with right now becayse I'm in the middle of reviewing pump curves at work, trying to find a pump that fits my application, so it's fitting that I stumble on this thread. :)

i ordered a mp40w and it was a lemon out of the box. had a month of bs going back and forth with ecotech. after they replaced the whole unit, i sold it. i wasn't planning on getting another vortech but there wasn't many options for variable water current for a nano so i went w/ the mp20. no issues with this unit.

I have to say I am very happy with my vortechs. I took one of the wet ends out to clean it and like a bonehead stripped the plastic nut. Ecotech was nice enough to send me a new screw and nut shipped at no charge. There customer service has been great. If only my OM 4 worked so well.

Mine has behaved perfectly. ETM even went WAY out of their way to help me replace my original pumps when they got destroyed from something that wasn't even their fault (unrelated fire). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when I need another.

Something has been wrong with it since the first day I got it. The magnets keep getting misaligned. I have called them over and over again and though they do a nice job helping fix the problem it seems to keep coming back at some level or another.

The last thing you want to hear from the back of your tank is clicking and popping. I think my unit is just a lemon but OM has made nooffer ever to replace it just continue to have me call them and service it myself.

I am getting close to shutting down the closed loop altogether and just adding a couple more vortechs,

Usually the clicking noise cause by too much flow. Have you tried cutting down the flow a little bit to see if that help? Ask them to send you a new drum. A sticky drum could cause that problem too. You can also try to sand the inside of the body a little bit. That help with the sticking issue also. Paul is very nice to me. I broke a body before by accident and he sent out a new body for free even the unit was no longer under warranty.

It's not a too much flow issue that was one of the earlier problems I was having. The magnets literally jumped off track and I went through several hours of tech support and essentially reassembled the whole unit while I was on the phone.

Paul is very nice, but niceness only goes so far if you keep having recurring problems with your unit.

Totally understand :) ..

I would request him to send you a new motor and a new drum and see what he say. Just tell him you are tired of all this troubleshooting that doesn't fix the problem.

Back