So in December Rich Ross, Senior Aquatic Biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium will be coming to us to give a talk! I've heard time and time again he is a prolific and entertaining speaker. We will be having a potluck right before the talk. Please vote on the topic you want to hear about.
Rich Ross moving a giant clam at the Steinhart Aquarium.
Who Is Rich Ross:
- Richard Ross is a Senior Biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences where he cultures and cares for exotic cephalopods, fish & coral, participates in ongoing field work on coral spawning, animal collection & transport, and manages tropical saltwater displays including the 212,000 Philippine Coral Reef exhibit.
- He is a prolific writer and speaker, authoring academic papers and a catalogue of articles on aquarium and reef related educational topics including his Skeptical Reefkeeping series which focuses on critical thinking, responsibility and ethics of aquarium keeping.
- Richard was presented with the MASNA Aquarist of the Year award in 2015, and his work has been covered by mainstream media outlets including Scientific American, National Geographic, Penn¹s Sunday School and Fox News. Richard has kept saltwater animals for over 25 years, and has worked in aquarium maintenance, retail, wholesale and has consulted for a coral farm/fish collecting station in the South Pacific.
- He was also a past president of BAR.
- Spoken at almost all MACNA events.
Potential Talk Topics Include:
Date: December 12, 2015 (Saturday)
- “Collecting and breeding the Pygmy Seahorse”
- "Keeping and breeding Cephalopods"
- "Coral Sex Therapy: Helping Coral Make Sweet, Sweet Love"
- "Steinhart and Science in the Philippines"
- "Secrets of Reef Keeping"
- "Phosphate – that word you keep using, I do not think it means what what you think it means."
- Interested in a different Talk? Check out his other talks here and let us know which one you're interested in.
Location: Chabot College
Every year tons of other clubs and marine societies pay Rich Ross to fly around the country to speak about his research and adventures. We're so lucky to have him right here in the Bay Area!
Please vote for the topic you want to hear from Rich Ross.