Neptune Aquatics

Want to hear something utterly utterly tragic?

UPS was supposed to deliver a package today... and they don't know where the hell it is!

And here's what was inside:

723468639_DykWA-S.jpg

723468653_prPAv-M.jpg

723469666_qpLnL-M.jpg

What do you think a yuma's chance of survival is 48 hours inside a cardboard box?? :( :( :(

(These were well acclimated and established in the vendor's tank for weeks too...)

Yeah, I don't think they have much of a chance. The first one is the only one I really really care about. I am really upset at UPS right now.

Egads those are simply awesome! those are the best I've ever seen and to lose them from UPS messing up shipping is truly tragic. :( Where did you get them from?

that really sucks. I've had coral (not yumas though) survive easily for 48 hours.

I can't believe they screwed up. That's really really sad =( Sure Reefkoi will help you out, but animals (let alone beauties like those) getting lost in UPS is always horrible.

40 % that it will survive. If the package was well packed with heat packs, then yes.

I had a shipment come in recently but poorly heated and lost 6 animals already.

Eight said:
Got the from Reefkoi... he's a cool guy, so I'm sure he'll work with me on this.

Chris is a JERK. He'll tell you to jump off a cliff :p

They should be fine and I bet they show up today. Give Chris a call, he'll track it for you :) He's an honest and good guy and they should be well packed. Just don't lick the packaging as Chris had a really nasty infection (a vibrio) right after the DA-CFM.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

UPS says it will be delivered today before 10:30am. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Gresh: I heard about that infection he had! I was so looking forward to licking that package too! ;P

bookfish said:

Umm actually there is something to be learned from this.

Chris got very sick (in ER for several days where he contracted the swine flu as well) from a infection he got on his finger most likely from reef tanks since vibrio sp. bacteria are highly associated with the marine environment and corals. It's very tough not to find a vibrio amongst our tanks. Vibrios can really mess you up. Wear gloves at all times if you have cuts. It's also a good thing if you don't have cuts.

Vibrios and Mycobacteriums (which I know about firsthand) are NASTY, heck you can even contract Pseudomonas from aquariums even though they are some of the most ubiquitous bacteria. I don't know Chris, but I wish him well, I spent time on IV antibiotics hoping not to loose a finger.

melly mel said:
Wow, I knew to take precautions when having our hands in our tanks but i never knew it could lead to such serious consequences.

Many of them can kill you. Chris was pretty bad off while on IV AB in the ER. The swine flu was nothing compared to the infection.

tuberider said:
Vibrios and Mycobacteriums (which I know about firsthand) are NASTY, heck you can even contract Pseudomonas from aquariums even though they are some of the most ubiquitous bacteria. I don't know Chris, but I wish him well, I spent time on IV antibiotics hoping not to loose a finger.

I had MB, decided I was too much of a man to go to the ER and get it taken care of, so I took out my scaple and lanced the entire thing myself. Yah, I'm scared of needles but I can dig a friggen growth out of my finger like no ones business. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I SUGGEST ANYONE DOING. I WAS STUPID FOR DOING IT. next time I will seek medical attention.

I've had dozens of infections working in this trade and nearly all of them were something NOT to shrug off.

Well, UPS did deliver the package this morning. Amazingly.

It was delivered by some dude in a regular car at 10am. I bet it was on some special handling list cuz they messed up. I called them three or four times prior to the delivery.

The bags smelled *terrible* when they came in and they were very cloudy and brown:

723980010_ikqfw-M.jpg

Once I got them out of their bags, I placed them in a dark, quiet area of my sump:

723979987_5WVb7-M.jpg

The one I like the best, the multi colored striped one actually appears to be in pretty decent shape. The mouth isn't gaping and it has unfolded a bit since it came in.

The purple one with funny bubbles is gaping badly now and spilling guts. I am not sure this one will make it.

The pink one has a brown burn patch and a slightly gaped mouth, but doesn't seem to be spilling its insides.

I'm hoping these guys pull through. I think I have a good chance with the striped one.

Anyone want to take bets on survival?

PS. Chris from Reefkoi is being extremely helpful and supportive about everything and has said he'd take care of me whatever the outcome. Couldn't ask for better service than that...

Back