Our mission

Want to hear something utterly utterly tragic?

I'm actually amazed they may have *some* chance at survival. They look better than I thought they would.

It's a real shame, because you can tell how amazing the colors are in the second pic... that's with the flash on my pocket camera!

The gaping is caused by the extreme stress. Once things settle in, it should recover. very low flow and low light will help. Dips should be done later though. The brown thing...well thats not a good sign. SOrry bro.

I disagree on the "very low flow" as you'll want to export away the nasty's and get new clean water over it at all times. Not high flow, but not very low flow.

When was it shipped? Monday? Nothing out of the ordinary considering many corals are in transit for 48 hours from the field at times.

They're in my refugium which gets the full 'upflow' from my return pump. It's very broad and gentle, but pretty significant, since my return is a throttled back Reeflo Snapper. They are all attached to med pieces of liverock sitting on a bed of chaeto which the water flows through. I can see waste being pulled away, but the flow isn't directional enough to move the mushrooms at all. I believe the flow situation is pretty good for these guys right now.

I turned off the fuge light, so they will only get a bit of ambient light from my main tank lights above.

I might put the yumas onto a dish and then sit the dish on top of the chaeto just so the chaeto doesn't interfere with the yumas in anyway and provide a more stable base for them. Otherwise I'm going to avoid touching them as much as possible.

These were shipped out on Monday. I wouldn't normally be this worried about corals being in transit this long, but they're yumas which have a touchy reputation, so I'm extra paranoid about these guys.

The pink one died completely.

The purple 'bubbles' one survived, but detached from the rock it was on. I have him cheese clothed to a piece of Liverock to try to reanchor him. He's being stubborn though. :p

The super nice striped one melted away, but left a decent patch of his foot on the live rock. The foot has healed and may have a chance at growing back. The cap did something strange... the center of the cap dissolved away, but I have a 'ring' of flesh from the cap that seems to have stopped dieing. It has retained its colors and actually seems quite healthy. That is cheese clothed to rock as well.

So... not a complete loss. Reefkoi has been fantastic and gave me credit for my items. He's awesome.

Cool. Glad to hear things are on the mend. That's a neat tip about using cheesecloth to help softies attach (a person could learn something new everyday on this site). It's amazing how tenacious those corals are. I can say with a certain measure of confidence that "under your care, these corals will have the best chance for a come back."

Keep up the good work and best of luck.

Back