Bay Area Reefers (BAR) is a club for reef aquarists in the San Francisco Bay Area. The primary purpose of BAR is to promote, foster, and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.
We do this by hosting events that promote propagation of corals and fish, educate people on techniques for improving aquarium husbandry and best of all we do it in a way that is rewarding and fun.
But who plans these events? Who makes this all happen?
The Board of Directors (B.O.D) is made up of members just like you. We are ordinary/extraordinary reef club members who appreciate this club and want to make a positive difference in the club.
Don't be intimidated
I've been on the BOD for about 1 year now. Don't let the term "board of directors" scare you away. It's not a gigantic commitment, but we do need your input. If you want to help influence what kind of events this club has, I definitely recommend joining the BOD. I joined the BOD and wanted to achieve three main things: fun frag swaps, grow-out contests, and fun events.
How much work is involved?
Honestly, it really isn't that hard. The bigger events (frag swaps) usually require planning and set up time but the events we have the rest of the year, there isn't much leg work to do. I'm always surprised and grateful for the non-bod volunteers that help set up our events.
- Provide input/ideas/opinions
- We Work as a team
- Do you have to be at every single event? No, but you do have to go to some of them.
- Do you have to do all the work by yourself? No if you need help, ask and we will help.
- Help set up events
How often do we meet?
We usually meet at the end of an event. We have events once a month, sometimes once every two months. Example: After the Copepods Presentation, we had a 20 minute meeting. My main goal for event planning is to have fun/rewarding/informative events, so you're already went to the event for a reason. Afterwards,stick around for 10-20 minutes to talk about planning the next event/improvements/etc.
How can I help?
- Provide input/come up with ideas in the hidden BOD forum.
- Examples: Improvements to Member Frag Swaps, Expert Speakers, Fish Food Making Event.
- You can help shape the events and direction this club has. Might have to e-mail a speaker and invite them to come speak for us. Takes about 15 minutes. Oh my god 15 minutes, so much time commitment.
- We are always looking for webmasters to help with the website.
- Are you familiar with our forums Xenforo layout?
- Think we have too many subforums? Wouldn't it be nice if we had interactive panels on the sides?
- Free BAR membership for your BOD term.
- Free access to the Club Bandsaw.
- Influence over club events.
Hey Bay Area Reefers!
Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.
Thank you for your patience!
Want to make a difference in this Club? Join the 2016 BOD!