Neptune Aquatics

Water jugs for storing saltwater?

I'm using a Reliance 7g water jug for storing my ATO water under the stand right now. Ideally I'd like to get something around 10g in size for mixing and storing water change water. Any suggestions? Preferrably not a 5g bucket. :)

Hmm yeah maybe I need to rethink this. 10g might be too much to carry. It needs to be something I can carry as I suspect I'll have to store it outside in a shady corner of the patio. Not a lot of space in the closets left and I don't think a brute by the tank will win me spousal approval.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You could keep this near the tank. They come in all sorts of colors and sizes ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Gallon-A...Off-ATO-Reef-Container-Resevoir-/271262963579

$_12.JPG

Trying to carry 10g (80+ lbs.) will kill your back! If you go with a 10g. ATO res just carry smaller amount of water to the res.

I use the Reliance containers. I have two. I removed the spigot and put in a PVC plug. I drilled a hole in the plug just big enough for rigid airline tubing. The tubing goes to the bottom and is connected to an AquaLifter that is connected to a JBJ ATO.

That gives me 10-12 days of top off and if I'm out of town the tank sitter just needs to switch the modified cap from one jug to the other.

Last edited:
Spoon, that's one cool ATO box.

I think if I paid $185 just to hold water with no fish or corals in it, my wife would kill me!

That Synergy is a nice container but I would probably prefer it with black acrylic to prevent any growth. I do like the fact that it's plumbed and is capable of having a float valve.

You all make a good point about carrying 10g of water. I'm using a 7g reliance water container for ato now and just fill it by uncoiling a long poly line which I connect to my ro unit under the kitchen sink.

At some point a custom container with a float would be nice for my ato as I'd like to be able to have it auto fill from the ro unit. I just have no nice way of getting the water line to the tank unless I wedge it between the transition from tile to carpet in the living room.

Maybe I'll just get another reliance or two for salt water and resolve that I have to just keep them by the tank. A small power head (have a box of them) would be more than enough to pump up to the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back