Reef nutrition

WAV vs. Vortech vc. Gyre

I will delete my post, I do not want to creat debate here. This post is about helping.
Apologies

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don't have to delete anything. You believe what you believe. I'm just saying that you are wrong. There may be a visit scheduled for BAR members in the future if I can find the time to get that set up. Nothing to hide here.

Don't have to delete anything. You believe what you believe. I'm just saying that you are wrong. There may be a visit scheduled for BAR members in the future if I can find the time to get that set up. Nothing to hide here.
If indeed you design, manufacturer and build these in Morgan hill then I was wrong. And I apologize.
Would love to see your fab line one day though...
Cheers

I still think wav is not up to par with comparable products from cost stand point though.
Hopefully it will improve as time goes and customers provide feedback.

Around the 20 sec mark shows our production line. This is here locally in Morgan Hill. About 50 yards from where I sit.
Love it.
But this is assembly line though...
Do you do pcb fab, product design and tooling build, plastic tooling etching and part machine, SMT ..etc also in usa?

Love it.
But this is assembly line though...
Do you do pcb fab, product design and tooling build, plastic tooling etching and part machine, SMT ..etc also in usa?

Some of it is here, some of it has to be out sourced. Product design starts and ends here.

I don't feel like any of the apex products are a knock off or cheap Imitation of another product. I spent a considerable about of time Tinkering with the WAV pumps thanks to Vince and a design request. I borrowed a WAV from a friend for flow testing with the anemone guards and I'm impressed with their flow rates and apex integration. I'm working on an angle extension but it's proven to be a pain and low demand. The few people I talked to about the WAV didn't have any reqrets, it's all subjective.

The DOS is also a step above most dosing units. Using stepper motors (same motors 3d printers use) is much more accurate and precise compared to on/off motors most dosing units use. I can't drop $600 for dosing pumps or I would probably have them (or a calcium reactor). I have looking into building my own version but I hate arduino programming and I know it's just not going to match what they make for precision, reliability and I don't want more individual programs for tank control, that's why I got rid of the kessil spectral controller and use vdm module.

I am a gear head so that stuff pushes a button for me.

that's an interesting solution. I have one MP-40 now and one Hydor. wanted to upgrade (tank is happy, but I like to tinker). Maybe a Jebao would be a good addition and replacement for the basic hydor? Are the Jabao quiet?
I got two OW 40 for the display and two OW-10 for the frag tank. They all run at full power and I can't hear them, granted my tank doesn't run silent.

I'm sorry fella's...just seeking knowledge and experience. I've seen a lot of positives about the Apex and I see its' appeal. There are just so many choices and I've been too long in that rabbit hole with different things that I didn't need and thought I did. Many of you on this thread, along with @Coral reefer have saved me from myself in the past! Vincent has always been very good to me and has steered me in the correct direction many times--even turning a buyer into a shopper. I respect that. Same thing with Ultimate Aquarium/Joe. He has refused to sell me certain fish because he knows it would have been detrimental.

I don't feel like any of the apex products are a knock off or cheap Imitation of another product. I spent a considerable about of time Tinkering with the WAV pumps thanks to Vince and a design request. I borrowed a WAV from a friend for flow testing with the anemone guards and I'm impressed with their flow rates and apex integration. I'm working on an angle extension but it's proven to be a pain and low demand. The few people I talked to about the WAV didn't have any reqrets, it's all subjective.

The DOS is also a step above most dosing units. Using stepper motors (same motors 3d printers use) is much more accurate and precise compared to on/off motors most dosing units use. I can't drop $600 for dosing pumps or I would probably have them (or a calcium reactor). I have looking into building my own version but I hate arduino programming and I know it's just not going to match what they make for precision, reliability and I don't want more individual programs for tank control, that's why I got rid of the kessil spectral controller and use vdm module.

Guilty of tinker...one of you posted a video from MACNA where the speaker said if your reef is happy don't dick with it. Sage advice for sure. I do have the desire to tell a tablet to put my system into a specific mode to do whatever it is I'm in the middle of. I also like the remote monitoring. I like the idea of not having the additional controller for the Kessil's and don't like the programming aspect of the spectral controller--as well as fewer power bricks hence the WAV question. I agree the MP's look clean without wires in the tank. I hate wire clutter and want a really clean look and feel, along with the safety good wire management brings. I like the thought of the one-link and aqua-bus connections vice other wires. I could see most of my setup eventually being grey and orange (complimented with a lot of scarlet and grey!

I value the opinions of this group and appreciate the feedback.

I agree I do not think core, wave and dos are knockout per say. Rather overpriced for the quality..
That being said, dosers, pupmps and power heads are commoditized, the core technology and parts are the same for and can be sourced( am sure the outsourced parts Vince is referring to is the core parts of the pump or the dose) the extra features, stability and reliability of the equipment are what justify the price.
As an example the "no wire" and the reliability proven by years of customers feedback in vortech, or the head pressure performance and 5 to 10 years warrangee in red dragon, abyzz or syncra...these what I pay extra for.
For Neptune the apex connectivity and fusion is the standout feature, there is no doubt.
But is this enough to worry about dos dumping suplement one day, or core under perform with head pressure...for me it's a no...
Btw I am not bashing, I am just direct and objective at least from my need stand point...

Last edited:
I would love a tour! That would be really great, I hope it can be arranged someday.

If you need any help from BAR to get it going let us know.

And thank you also for volunteering to do the Apex optimization meeting on 4/20.

I’ve been very happy with my Maxspect gyres. I think the Neptune Wavs and Vortechs are also great.

Personally I would not buy the cheap alternatives, the money saved isn’t worth the headache and other potentially more serious problems down the line.

Back