We need rocks

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Mark B, May 24, 2017.

1. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Hi All!
    Peter and I are looking for some live/dead rock. We are trying to get everything we need to get Peter's new 100 gallon tank with a 20 gallon frag tank plumbed into it up and running and are short at least a 150 pounds of rock. Does anyone have a good source or have extra they would like to get rid of or sell? We checked our local store and they want $8 a pound or approx. $1,200 - Wow!!
    Thanks! Mark

Wlachnit likes this.
  2. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

Look in the buy sell trade section.
    Someone posted a large piece of rock with corals for a great price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Buy dry rock. Cheap and no pests.
    Marcorocks is one decent online source.

Coral reefer likes this.
  4. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

what is your local store? and buy dry rock. way cheaper

5. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Our local store is Ultimate Aquarium in San Mateo. We also looked at Neptune.I will check out Marcorocks

6. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

also, you can check out brs for their dry rock. I purchased some pokani (think how that is spelled) and its great rock, with a lot of good places to put corals and for fish to hide. if you ever get the time, check out aquatic collection in hayward. I live a 15 minute walk from ultimate, but the majority of my fish are from AC.

Coral reefer likes this.
  7. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I'll have lots of live rocks available this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

How long does dry rock take before it becomes live?

9. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

id say that depends on how old your tank is already

10. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

You can buy dry rock and seed it with a couple pieces of cured live rock in tub with a heater and power head. You will have let it cycle and test.

11. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

It also depends on how much dead organics are on the rock. I used Pukani rock ($3.79/lb - shipping included) from BRS and while I love the rock and the price, they pretty much are pulled straight from the ocean and dirty as heck. There were sponges, crab shells, dried macro algea, etc. all over. I can almost guarantee that you will not need 150lbs of pukani rock. I'd guess between 50-75lbs. Rock is very porous and not dense and will take up more room than you think it will for a given weight. If you're worried about surface area for bacteria to grow, you can as just throw in a marine pure block or spiorax in the sump.

It took me 31 days to cure & cycle ~50lbs of rocks in a 27G tub in the garage.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Coral reefer likes this.
  12. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Ok, We have a 60 gallon that is cycled and has plenty of room to add and cycle a bunch of rock while we build the 100 gallon system.

13. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

If you buy rock that has not been cured (organics allowed to decompose), do not cure/cycle in the 60 gallon if there is livestock. Everything in it will likely die. And if the 60 gallon is in the house and you cure in that tank, be prepared for your house to smell like a rotting ocean for about a week.

Coral reefer likes this.
  14. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

If you can trust the source of live rock (does that tank look good?), then I would prefer live rock for the pods and stuff.

15. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

You can always add pods later. Don't trust others!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral reefer likes this.
  16. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Decision, decisions.

17. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

If you don't mind the critter, hitchhikers, and pests, then go with live rock. Otherwise, cycle with dry/dead rock. Took me ~6 months to get rocks that were encrusted with coralline going from BRS reefsaver. Once coralline is in the tank, it spreads extremely quickly. Coralline starts to encrust the dry and dead Tonga that I replaced the reefsaver with in about a week.

Coral reefer likes this.
  18. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Same here.
    BRS stuff is a *MESS*, but is nice rock.
    Marcorocks is very clean, but is Florida rock.

19. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

It is messy, but nothing a good spray with a hose and a good 30ish days of curing can't fix. You could even use bleach initially if you want to speed up the removal of dead organics. Just use a dechlorinater (e.g. Prime) and/or sun dry to remove bleach. See BRS video for curing:

I think it's a great product.

20. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Lots of good info. - Thanks all!
    We picked up our first 20#s of live rock from Doug's (dswong01) sump this afternoon. Thanks Doug!

Gablami likes this.