Kessil

Wedding Photography -Art, where are you? :)

I was invited by a friend to photograph her wedding in July. I am doing this for no pay ... just for the food, and the photo taking experience I can then put under my belt :) In any case, the first thing I should probably list is my equipment (everything is Canon unless otherwise specified):

Canon 40D
Primes: 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.8 macro
17-40 f4L
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Speed-light 420EX w/ diffusor

I don't have many zoom lenses, which can be understandably more convenient in situations like a wedding in Santa Cruz. I have a decent set of Canon's non-L prime lens, all of which would shine in lower lit environments (not sure where the wedding is yet, but I won't be in a church).
The Siggy UWA would be excellent for group photos and things; plus this lens allows me to be really creative. The 17-40 f4L really shines outdoors, or anywhere there is ample light. Indoors, unless brightly lit is pushing it a little.
I would LOVE to get many hands on the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L ... but that costs a pretty penny, new or used. I've always thought about selling the 17-40 f4L, now that I have the Sigma 10-20 for wide angles; use the proceeds from that sale towards the 24-70 f2.8L :D But for now, let's assume I won't be getting the 24-70.
I know I can rent lenses, but I prefer not to if I can avoid it. It's a weird thing with me, so don't ask :bigsmile:
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how the primes would do ... Art, I know you're a prime guy -any experience shooting wedding?
Any tips/ideas anyone has ahead of time regarding any aspects of shooting a wedding in general?

What are you shooting as far as the wedding is concerned? Ceremony? Reception? Or the entire thing (6 am - 11 PM'ish)?

This is your friend's wedding? It is is pretty hard to enjoy a wedding and take photos at the same time.

From the lenses you posted I would bring the 17-40, 50, and 85.

Eric ... the entire thing :)
There will also be other people doing the same thing I am; in short, the couple is on a very tight budget, and they're asking all of their friends who are into photography if they want to volunteer time to document their wedding. They're reimbursing us for travel, and feeding us. What I am looking to get out of this is experience, for sure. She mentioned it is going to be an evening thing.

John, I think I will still find time to enjoy the wedding, so I am not overly concerned about that; though for some this may be in issue, just not me. I was thinking of bringing all of my lenses if I could :D Of course that'd be heavy, but I can always set some equipment down elsewhere.

Canon 40D
Primes: 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.8 macro
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Speed-light 420EX w/ diffusor

Bring the above; leave the rest in the car just in case. I would also take a look at borrowing some gear from people you know if you really want to shoot the majority of this. For me, I shoot w/the following:

Main: D2X + 12-24mm f/4 (swap out w/17-55mm, 100mm micro, 50mm depending on what's being shot)
Secondary: D200 + 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Additional lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 100mm micro VR, 17-55mm f/2.8
Flashes: 3 x SB-800, 2 x SR400 (ring flashes)
Batteries: 2 Quantum Turbos, tons of AA batteries for flashes, CR123 batteries for R1 (flash controller)
Additional equipment: 3 umbrellas and stands, 5 color reflector, whitbal card, tripod + ballhead

Having shot nearly a dozen of these suckers, I would recommend a second body if you can borrow one, along w/a 70-200mm lens if possible. Second body so that you can be mobile and not switching lenses all the time. Longer lens to get you into the action w/out being the action. Primes are great for their speed (AF and acquisition), shallow DOF, and weight.

Scout the area beforehand so you get an idea of what kind of lighting to expect. Get to know the schedule and arrangements (I actually direct and alter the arrangements at times to allow for angles, flow, etc.). Talk to the couple to see what kind of shots they expect. Ask about family members, relatives, or friends that should be in on certain shots. Photojournalistic vs. posed shots expected. Expectations before and after the shooting also helps.

Back