Reef nutrition

Weekly temp spike possibly good

rygh

BOD
BOD
I was reading an interesting article here:
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/100587-great-temperature-debate-part-iv.html

Of specific interest was a suggestion for the summer months:
Run your temp most of the time at the usual temp, but once a week, spike it up to 84 deg for a couple of hours.
The theory is that it causes the corals to acclimate a bit to higher temperatures, without really stressing them so badly.
That way, if there is a chiller failure or really hot spell, they can handle the heat better, and have a much higher chance of survival.

Basically, you stress them a bit, but possibly save there lives if things go wrong.

Interesting idea. A couple of obvious issues though:
1) If your tank water/light/etc are no so perfect, that extra stress could kill.
2) Bumping temp up to 84 for a few hours, then quickly back down, once a week, is not all that simple.
3) That "temp spike" is probably as likely to go wrong as any other problem. So are you really reducing risk, or
replacing one risk with another.

Thoughts?

I have tremendous respect for Chis, he is a coral genius, that said the temp spike in the ocean may or may not be the same thing in an aquarium. The main issue being DO, if the ambient environment has low DO, (a closed sealed house with a gas oven on) you could be playing with fire, also, the DO can fluctuate. Say you get comfortable with the temp spikes and don't have any issues then all of the sudden the environment changes, you may have issues as a result.

+1 with what Jeremy said, while this regularly happens in the wild I'm sure, there are way too many other variables that an OCEAN can keep steady that a home tank can not.

Back