Cali Kid Corals

Weird sponge-like organism

I got a star polyp colony a couple months ago but they also brought in these sponge-like balls. While I sleep they move around by rolling I think. For a little bit all three of them moved then two settled in a cave and the other one kept wandering. They are about a couple mm. in diameter and look like white ball sponges but with hair like bristles on them. I think they can even eat toxic red algae because one time there was some on the sand and the thing got it stuck to itself. He then stopped moving and a day or two later it was all off of it. Does anyone know what it is? Also it is reef safe so far. I will get a picture of one them up soon if I can.

Pineapple sponge?

TinyTubiculousTubeworm.jpg

I do not think it is a pineapple sponge because it is completely round with no feeler like things on it. They do kind of look like white ball sponges though, but I haven't heard of white ball sponges moving.

I am almost certain that they reproduce by splitting in half because I saw one that was elongated and had a sphere on each end. If I prove that that one reproduced I will put one on the DBTC.

Back