Neptune Aquatics

Well my ATi BM 250 might be gone to better days...

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
So I was doing a bunch of stuff on the indoor lagoon temp tank, including drilling a bulkhead for an overflow (siphons suck! *rimshot*) and one of the things I needed to do was move my sump around so I wouldn't have a huge snake of PVC that went to it around a corner. Well I think I yanked the skimmer pumps by the cords one too many times because the cord has the sheathing frayed, I found out while I plugged the pump in and was going to do something else in the tank with my feet wet, in wet flip flops.... yeah I started getting the electrical tingles before my hand even went into the tank!

Now the problem is that the skimmer uses TWO Sicce psk2500 (discontinued) pumps, now I managed to plug up one hole and run it with just 1 pump, and to be fair it should be fine, since the BM200 uses just 1 pump, but it has a smaller body (by about 2" of diameter), and considering this tank is far from being over stocked. Looked for replacement, and a PSK1000, is $120 and doesn't even have a venturi ... like WTF how am I supposed to turn that into a skimmer pump, and I bet the existing stuff on my pumps won't fit. Thought about just ripping it up with a DC skimmer pump, but those will cost $200-300 ... so meh.

So need to figure out a new skimmer, of course no new tank yet, so I can hold off on this for a while me thinks. I know Mario has that Vectra 300 waiting for me, but that thing is ginormous! And it also uses 2 pumps which I really want to get away from.

That was a close call.
Glad you're ok.
Get the alpha. I only run one pump off of that and it works great.

Quiet One pumps take the volute from those Sicce if I recall right...

I have plumbed up an Eheim return pump for this job more than once. They are quiet, reliable and not expensive. What gph are you looking for? I have a few laying around ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem is these pumps don't have a volute that is detachable, ATi actually made the impeller cover to include the volute all in one piece, so it's a bit more complicated with just swapping parts with any off brand pump.

Yeah no worries, it seems to be doing fine with one pump, while yes it's less foam, less water into the skimmer, it still seems to be pulling out murky dark skimmate

Besides if I really needed a skimmer I'd just take the one off your tank ;)

Last edited:
Darn it, I was in the basement this morning, I could have checked for a pump... I know for sure to have a Skimrite pump; Sicce I may have a spare or two, I can't remember out of the blue.

I was trying to fit the impeller from a Sicce into the QO 3000, a bit of mod is needed for the pump to be used as a replacement for a PSK2500. Pump cover fits right but pin-wheel is a bit long and prevents the cover to be placed back properly.

Back