Cali Kid Corals

Well now I’m scared...Overflow is leaking

According to Red Sea thisnshouldnt be an issue. Something about equilibrium or something. I’m going to put some spare heaters in the tank and turn it off for 8 hours one weekend to see if I’m crazy or not.

According to Red Sea thisnshouldnt be an issue. Something about equilibrium or something. I’m going to put some spare heaters in the tank and turn it off for 8 hours one weekend to see if I’m crazy or not.

As long as your drains and return aren't leaking, the only water that should go into the sump is water that is above the top of shortest of the three pipes. Once the return is turned off, the overflow and DT will equalize at that level. Now, if you happen to get aother leaky seal and the power goes off, then you're in trouble.

As long as your drains and return aren't leaking, the only water that should go into the sump is water that is above the top of shortest of the three pipes. Once the return is turned off, the overflow and DT will equalize at that level. Now, if you happen to get aother leaky seal and the power goes off, then you're in trouble.

Oh...and I forgot to add, if it was me, I'd probably fix it for peace of mind. I'd be complaining and cursing every minute of the way though.

Yeah I’m way to lazy by nature to do this if it’s not an immediate issue. I know it’s not the best way to look at it but at least I know myself.

I think what I was forgetting is that the main overflow has that “extra” large tube over the top of it. That will probably help. I’m still going g to do the text when I have a full day to stick around st home and watch it.

Finally got around to running a test on this since I had to clean my skimmer and return pumps.

I had the tank shutdown for about 2 hours and the water level never changed. So I guess I’m not scared anymore.

Back