Kessil

Welsh Corgi

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as a corgi breeder goes in the Bay Area? I am currently in the 94544 (Hayward) area. I am going to get a corgi next summer, and want to begin the process of scoping out, and visiting breeders and their facilities in my area. Unfortunately, I do not even know where to start looking.
Goes without saying that any advice, is much appreciated!

Cute dogs.... don't know any breeders. You might consider going to the Golden Gate Kennel Club Dog Show in January at the Cow Palace. Last weekend if I remember correctrly. There will be serveral breeders there.

-Gregory

You can start looking at the AKC website. That may be a good start. That's what we did for Taz, our German Pinscher.

Here's a photo of him that I took a few months ago.

You may want to look into a rescue specifically for Corgis. I really wanted a Ragdoll cat when I moved out to California, but its so much better to rescue if possible so I went through a rescue that focuses on purebred cats at shelters and got my ragdoll kitten through them. Here's a rescue dedicated solely to Corgis in Norther California:
http://www.goldengatecorgis.org/rescue/rescue.htm

FeliciaLynn said:
You may want to look into a rescue specifically for Corgis. I really wanted a Ragdoll cat when I moved out to California, but its so much better to rescue if possible so I went through a rescue that focuses on purebred cats at shelters and got my ragdoll kitten through them. Here's a rescue dedicated solely to Corgis in Norther California:

Rescue is a wonderful way to go. We have always had Malamutes and went through Malamute rescue; 6 total. The only draw backs are 1) You never know the age of the dog for sure, and 2) They can come with some emotional/neglect baggage that can later lead to behavior issues. As long as you are aware of these two potentials recue can be a great alternative. Rescue groups do their best to health screen, verify age, and identify behavior issues prior to placement.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
FeliciaLynn said:

Rescue is a wonderful way to go. We have always had Malamutes and went through Malamute rescue; 6 total. The only draw backs are 1) You never know the age of the dog for sure, and 2) They can come with some emotional/neglect baggage that can later lead to behavior issues. As long as you are aware of these two potentials recue can be a great alternative. Rescue groups do their best to health screen, verify age, and identify behavior issues prior to placement.

-Gregory

Yeah, my only concern with rescues are the emotional/neglect baggage, specifically any signs of aggression. The last thing you would want is to have to euthanize your dog because s/he bit someone.

How about a boxer? I know where you can get one. Cheap....

012.JPG

+1 on on going with the rescue. Like the others already mentioned, you just need to do your homework on the disposition. A good rescue will usually do a very good job of making sure the dog will fit with the new owners though.

I did find my first Bulldog many years back by talking to breeders at the GG dog show at the Cow Palace. That's a very good place to look too.

~Charlie

A lot of the rescues do a really good job understanding the animal's behavior and making sure it goes to a matching family. I know the rescue I went through for my cat keeps all cats in foster homes for a while to get to know them well before they go up for adoption and they're very open and honest about the cat's personality and any behavior issues. A lot of times, dogs can have a horrible start at life and end up in a rescue, but amazingly not have any serious emotional baggage as a result and end up being amazing, loving pets.

Our shepherd is a rescue and I echo all the positive and negatives of adopting from a rescue. I've had pure breeds, mutts and rescues before, and our dog now is hands down, the best dog we (including wife's history with her dogs) ever had. Sometimes you get lucky :) The trick with rescues is to know what to look for and actually spend time with them before you take them home. It probably also helped that we got her young.

vHzol.jpg

Getting a rescue dog is certainly a great option, and one I have already taken into deep consideration. It is not to say that I have rejected the notion already, however I am leaning towards obtaining a pup from a breeder.
Thanks for the input so far everyone.

If your decision is hinging on wanting a puppy still check with rescue. They do get puppies occasionally, albeit not often.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
If your decision is hinging on wanting a puppy still check with rescue. They do get puppies occasionally, albeit not often.

-Gregory

Most definitely :)

So ... no one can recommend any breeders in the area?

Yup, we got ours at about 4months old. I've seen younger too.

As for breeders, I'd actually trust dog forums/pure breed forums vs the maybe 1 or 2 recommendations you get here. Not that the recs here won't be good, but statistically, 1 rec (or anti-rec) is not what you want to run with :) I'd wager that good breeders have a lot of people saying good things.

A_Lee said:
GDawson said:

-Gregory

Most definitely :)

So ... no one can recommend any breeders in the area?

I could but there are far too many needing rescuing for me to feel right about recommending a breeder... or it could be I do not recall the name, you make the call :lol:

Every dog my family has is a rescue (sister, parents and me).

I will hint to you that Carmel is a good place to start your search though. Perhaps my old WC came from a breeder there 25 years ago :) Poppy was an incredible female WC, such an awesome dog :D

FWIW my sister volunteers for a ton of different rescues if you want any help. My relatives on my Dad's side are breeders and circuit judges, quite a few are big names in their breeds and on the circuit.

lattehiatus said:
Perfect photo! Is it just me or does he look positively pleased with his work? ;)

That's her "Uh oh, I think I'm busted" look. She gets the Odie ears when she's happy. I'm pretty sure she had her Odie ears up until we walked through the door though :)

Back