Cali Kid Corals

What are your experiences with fire fish

So I've been doing some research on these guys, and Ive read a lot of conflicting information on these guys. I've read that their sex is determined at hatch, but I've also read they are sequential hermaphrodites. I've heard they do great in groups forever, but then I've also heard they do great in groups until they mature, and then they whittle themselves down to a pair or single in time. They seem super timid, shy, and docile, but I've read they are aggressive to conspecifics ( like most fish). I would love if everyone shared their experiences. I bought 2 standard firefish about a week ago, they are side by side about 75% of the time. Seeing as this fish has been around for so long and has a relatively high demand, I think it would be great if the reefing community could breed them. Also, I saw hybrids on reef builders, they look awesome!

Bought 5......... within 3 months I was down to 1. Had that same one for a couple years now. Never bothers anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 2 purple fire fish. I started with 3 but one didn’t eat pellets. I switched to LRS shortly after losing the third one and the other two are thriving. They are skittish but I’ve never seen them be aggressive towards each other or the other fish.

I have had a purple fire fish and a red one together in a 25G IM lagoon for about 4-5 months and they haven't given me any trouble in the least bit. They're both very skittish though and hide a lot in the rocks.

I have a purple and a red in my tank. They are both great reefmates. They are always together, eat well and are very friendly ( will eat pellets out of my hand). I might just be lucky. They are absolutely beautiful fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a lid. I've had a few and never had any aggression from them toward any other fish. A lot of shops will recommend buying three, but I think you're better off with either one, two or six.

You need a lid. I've had a few and never had any aggression from them toward any other fish. A lot of shops will recommend buying three, but I think you're better off with either one, two or six.
Ok you've got me curious now. Why 6? Is it an at least 6 type thing? More is better?
I've never had luck keeping more than 1 or 2 together, but maybe never tried as many as 6...

I have heard they are like blue Chromis.
One is fine. Two pair up. A large school/shoal is fine.
But with a small group, 3-5 or so, the smallest gets picked on, badly.

Ok you've got me curious now. Why 6? Is it an at least 6 type thing? More is better?
I've never had luck keeping more than 1 or 2 together, but maybe never tried as many as 6...

Spread around the aggression hopefully. Odds are you'll still have to start separating once there's one or two bonded pairs though.

I started with 3 purples. One lasted about 5-6 weeks but never grew and eventually starved. The other two were fine but only really came out each morning when I fed them. Otherwise they’d stay out of sight. I had quite a few more aggressive fish though. Maybe if the tank was a bit more peaceful they would have been out more.

Back