Kessil

What coral do you predict will be the next fad?

Limited amount of Euphyllias out there already so I think you've seen the upper ends already on them. Montis are currently already raging with a handful of them pushing in the $500+ range already. Tenuis are in the same boat with 1" sticks costing upwards of $2k (RR jawdropper, JF homewreckers). The fad will continue with tenuis especially with the sheer number of wild rainbow colonies coming in. Mushrooms are still crazy as well with ecluctus, jawbreakers, etc.

The fad nowadays is actually just high end rainbows that will continue to dominate the scene for the foreseeable future.

Here's a new one that showed up recently with an undisclosed price. This one happens to be an anemone, a species of "pizza" anemone, Cryptodendrum adhaesivum, to be exact.
pizza_nem.JPG

It's currently not doing well and chances are that it won't make it, but I doubt that we'll see the last of these.

That's a shame. Beautiful nem! Carpets almost always need to be treated before introducing to DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hobby seems ripe for genetically engineered coral to produce unique colors and forms. Could also be used to reduce susceptibility to common problems. Especially now that CRISPR/Cas9 makes it relatively easy. Will be interesting how that plays out since there are so many strong feelings on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This hobby seems ripe for genetically engineered coral to produce unique colors and forms. Could also be used to reduce susceptibility to common problems. Especially now that CRISPR/Cas9 makes it relatively easy. Will be interesting how that plays out since there are so many strong feelings on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Spoken like a scientist. [emoji12] I agree....especially since most fluorescent proteins that have been cloned come from corals, jellyfish, and the like...it would be easy to do. It's gotten to the point where a hobbyist could undertake this. But, unless a hobbyist undertook this, the market is just too small. So, since you are familiar with the CRISPR/Cas9 editing gene... I nominate you.

Back