What coral should we grow out for the next contest?

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Enderturtle, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

The semi-rainbow acan grow-out will be ending soon.

I'm liking the grow-outs. I think they're great because:

1) You get a nice coral for cheap
    2) You can win a prize
    3) Gives data to track coral growth
    4) Something to do.
    5) Promotes coral propagation.

The main question is....what type of coral should we do for the next grow-out?

Certain coral species are hard to competitively measure growth on (tabling acros for example), but we'll try to make it work.

Should we do another zoa grow-out? Acan? Acro (will be formatted better than the cali reef one), encrusting montipora? Chalice? Hmmm what else.

Let me know what you want.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Pectinia?

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Could do some sort of encrusting or plating monti, then you can simply measure area (size) of it via growth, montipora typically grow fairly fast for stony corals so would be a bit easier to judge.

I vote against chalices since I've never had terribly good growth on them compared to some people, mummy eye I've had for years, got as a frag plug sized... it's barely larger than a frag plug :D

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I vote for chalice...montis are fun as well

5. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I'm open to whatever! LPS would be great!

6. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Anything but zoos.

7. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

GSP! fwiw, I've never been able to grow it.

8. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Lol NPS maybe!?!

9. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Since we've done an acro, acan and zoa, Chalices might be a good one to try.

Other than Acans, LPS like Blastos or Trumpets would be easy to count heads.

10. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Rock Flower Anemone....who doesn't want more of those ultra nems we got a few weeks ago???

11. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

I can bring you some if you want to try it again????

12. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Hah, thanks but I'm alright. After about 8 years, I finally have a small patch that's been alive for over a year.

13. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Very cool, keep the suggestions coming.

Can't do rock flower nems because they are un-frag-able lol. They do grow but not in a way we can measure.

I'll be super busy planning the upcoming frag swap sooo remind me if I forget to update the Grow-out threads. Tank Spotlight for Summer will be delayed or possibly canceled due to me being unavailable.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  14. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I'd vote for more Acans, chalices, or acropora. I love getting a single polyp of something beautiful/expensive and watching it grow over time - both because I'm cheap and because it's a great way to stay engaged with the tank. These animals live on a very different time scale than we do, it's great to have a contest that pulls us out to a scale where you can see how vibrant they are.

RobMcC and Enderturtle like this.
  15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

We can get you a single polyp of any SPS coral you want :D

wpeterson likes this.
  16. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

haha, the EXTRA bargain bin. Extreme fragging.

17. Seaslugteam

Seaslugteam Guest

If we're still voting, I would put my vote on montipora, chalice or any LPS. Depending on the type of encrusting coral, we can probably count the number of 'eyes'. E.g., number of eyes on a hollywood stunner or mummy eye chalice.

Enderturtle likes this.
  18. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

I would like some of those LOL ( ROCK FLOWER NEMS) and agree on Blastos especially the neat colored ones

19. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I'm amp'd up & ready for the next one, finally got a handle on my PO4 issues and the tank is back on track and growing again :D

20. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

@RobMcC you are the Blasto man.

In my experience, Blastos grow soooo much slower than Acans.

Are we even going to see any new blasto polyps in the 6-month or 1 year period we have for a grow-out contest?