Our mission

What do you guys think of Sony cameras?

finalphaze987

Supporting Member
So all these beautifull pics taken here has inspired me into getting a camera and shooting some for myself...i was taking a look at this camera: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665345641

What would you guys reccomend? What setups do you guys use in shooting regular pics as well as pics of tanks? any input is appreciated. Thanks.

From what I have heard and my opinion if you are going DSLR there are 2 brands you go with Nikon or Canon (other brands pale in comparison).

Sony bought minolta so it uses their lens mount. Besides that I don't know much about the camera. Eric can probably chime in. As for what I use, I use a Nikon D200. Typically shooting with a 90mm tamron macro lens for tank shots. Main thing to look at is how much you want to spend. And just realize to get good macro shots a dedicated macro lens is almost always needed.

I did a BUNCH of reasearch for Xmas and I found out that it is a Coke/Pepsi type decision....or should I say T5/MH. ;D

There are soooo many things to consider, but at the top of the list is probably lenses. The cheaper Cannon Rebel can use all of the hot Canon lenses while the Nikon entry level camera can not use all of their lenses. So I went with the Rebel since I'm no pro and don't need all thet the 4D has to offer.

Spend some time on dpreview.com, join the forum and treat it like you were buying a new Elos tank. Take your time, get informed and make the decision that is right for you. I love the decision I made, but your may be different for your needs.

The A300 basically uses the same sensor as the Nikon D200. Nikon purchases Sony sensors for their use and then tweak it and slap it into their camera. The big difference you'll see in the sensor b/w the Nikon and the Sony is the speed. The A300 bursts at 3 fps while the D200 bursts at 5 fps. The A300 isn't a bad offering considering the price and the flip view LCD on the back. Sony bought out Minolta awhile back to get into the DSLR market and uses most of their mount and technology (similar to what Samsung did by buying Pentax).

The biggest drawback with Sony is their lack of lenses and accessories. What you're saving now on the body will come back haunt you in the end w/paying more for those in the future than the equivalent or better from either Nikon or Canon.

For example:

Nikon flashes: SB-600 ($185) & SB-800 ($315)
Sony flash: HVL-F56AM ($310)
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR: $1625
Sony 70-200mm f/2.8: $1980

Also, here are some important differences between the two cameras:

ISO: A300 limited to full stops; D200 stops can be adjusted in 1/2 or 1/3 increments
Image stabilization: A300 built into the body; Nikon VR built into lenses (same w/Canon)
Max shutter speed: A300 up to 1/4000; D200 is one stop better at 1/8000 (important - depends on how often you shoot at faster speeds or outdoors)
EV (exposure composition): A300 to +/- 2 stops; D200 is +/- 5 stops
Continuous shooting: A300 3.0 fps, unlimited JPEG, 6 RAW, 3 RAW+JPEG images; D200 5 fps, 37 JPEG / 22 RAW frames (important for bursting)
Viewfinder: A300 isn't as high as the D200 (harder to use if you don't use autofocus)
Weight: A300 is lighter by about 50% vs. the D200
Seals & gaskets: A300 isn't weatherproof; D200 is

If you're looking in that price range, I'd take a look at the Nikon D60, which compares much closer to the specs of the A300 than the D200 used above. (I used the D200 above since they use the same sensor, plus used D200 is hitting close to the same price range as a new A300). If you can squeeze a bit more for a camera, then I'd also take a look at the Canon XSi.

Thanks for the input guys...My dad works for Sony and is able to get me a kick ash deal, but i really dont want to make a quick decision and end up regreting it. Good deal or not, alota money is stil alota money..Thanks for the comparison Eric..most sites ive been on compare Sony to Sony..

i definitly want to tank some nice close up shots of the tank, but want the versatility to take some great out door shot as well..

Back