Cali Kid Corals

what dosing pump do you use and why?

Coral reefer

Past President
So I'm almost ready to buy a dosing pump system. I have looked at the bubble-magus that has three pumps and a self contained controller. I like the looks of it because I don't have any type of controller currently. Haven't needed a chiller and I just run lighting on timers. Seems like a dozing pump system that doesn't need to be rigged into a controller would be best for me, but I'm open to other ideas. I also don't want to spend too much money. I've seen the bubble-magus for around $300 online, where do I buy it around here to be a good bar member? What else do people reccomend, and what is the ballpark cost?

Chris can get you one, and IIRC Neptune carries them as well.

Personally I use Drew's dosers from Bulk Reef Supply, however, that was long before the BM became widely available.

Drews dosers here too but same as Jeremy before the Bubble Magnus was widely available. Also they do not meet your requirement of not beinjg used witout a controller.

Drews doser for me as well. I picket mine up for about $90 a piece. I have mine hooked up to a controller, but I think you can get some cheap minute timers at Home Depot.

went through the same decision process as you and ended up using drew's. main reason being that i didn't want to buy a separate controller and the BM seemed unneeded if im going to get an apex type controller later on.

BM doser with 4 head expansion which just came in the mail last week. Not quite sure what I want to do with the additional 4 heads. :p

I just got another tom's aqualifter to dose freshwater when my pH is too high for dosing kalkwasser. My apex controls which to turn on based on pH and a float switch for low water level.

Am I the only one still using kalkwasser?

gwalls said:
I just got another tom's aqualifter to dose freshwater when my pH is too high for dosing kalkwasser. My apex controls which to turn on based on pH and a float switch for low water level.

Am I the only one still using kalkwasser?

you are not alone

Oh good, I was worried I was missing out on something. How do you mix your kalk, how much at a time, how long before you toss it and make more, do you use a stirrer? I'm using Ms. Wages quicklime from walmart, $2.50 for a half pound of food grade calcium hydroxide, pretty good deal.

I mix up kalk in a gallon container to saturation and let it sit over night. Next day I siphon off the clear top kalk and depending on my calcium levels I will dilute my topoff with RO/DI water so as to not cause problems with over saturation in the tank. My reservoir only holds half a gallon and usually lasts a week since it only doses at night when the pH and evaporation is low.

My top off bucket is 2 gallons, so I only get a couple of days at the most out of it, I'd use a larger vessel, but it would most likely strain my back getting it in and out of the stand, I carry water for a living, so no workie for me if I hurt that part of my anatomy. Anyway, I rinse the bucket out, take a squirt bottle (food service ketchup type) with white vinegar and squirt about 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar into the bucket, then put a scoop of kalk in the bucket and fill. The measurements are rough, I'm not a precise reefer, a slob mostly, but it works for me.

If my water level is a little low in the sump I top up a bit, otherwise straight cloudy kalk goes into the tank. (Do not try that at home unless you've developed reefing spidey senses)

I use both 2-part and kalk to maintain my levels, I like the multi-pronged approach :)

Back