got ethical husbandry?

What eats this type of algae?

Don't have a positive ID but just going on what some of the other members suggested. That stuff is very easy to pull off as well and like you said, it grows back very fast. It's getting a little out of hand. Don't crabs (like emerald crabs) eat this kind of stuff?

Well I'm in the process of trying the elevated magnesium levels using the Kent Tech-M stuff. I brought it up to about 1600-1700 last friday and it seems to be working. Although there are still some areas where there is a lot of bryopsis/algae, there are other areas where it has dramatically been reduced. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it progresses this week before I do a bunch of water changes to get the mag levels back to normal. Or I might just let it drop naturally.

Thanks, I noticed that my glass started to build up algae a lot quicker than usual so I'm sure some have perished unfortunately. I'll have to rid my tank of the bryopsis first, let the mag go down to normal levels and then restock my snail population.

I've noticed a couple strands f Bryopsis in my tank as well. I am not sure where I got it from. So far, pruning it with tweezers/hand once a week seems to work fine.
I am praying it goes away on its own accord ... somehow :D

Bryopsis is the main diet of Luttuce Nudibranchs, I have had excellent results in the past with them. You of course have to worry about powerheads and the such, but seeing as they are not really Nudi's, you don't have to worry about them releasing any toxins if they die.

If you have a large tank it can be hard for them to find it, just drop them directly on the patch and watch them go to work. If you have a large amount of Bryopsis, you might need a few of them. Once they go through it, you will need to find them a new nome or find a way to feed them, I read that you can feed the Shaving Brushes after they have gone through the Bryopsis, but I have not tried this personally.

Psychographic said:
Bryopsis is the main diet of Luttuce Nudibranchs, I have had excellent results in the past with them. You of course have to worry about powerheads and the such, but seeing as they are not really Nudi's, you don't have to worry about them releasing any toxins if they die.

If you have a large tank it can be hard for them to find it, just drop them directly on the patch and watch them go to work. If you have a large amount of Bryopsis, you might need a few of them. Once they go through it, you will need to find them a new nome or find a way to feed them, I read that you can feed the Shaving Brushes after they have gone through the Bryopsis, but I have not tried this personally.

They are photosynthetic as well IIRC :)

GreshamH said:
Psychographic said:

They are photosynthetic as well IIRC :)
If this is true, I don't think it's enough for them to survive on. I lost a couple after they ate all of the bryopsis in my tank and could'nt hook up with anyone to pass them on to.

The bryopsis has really gone down in my tank after the Kent Tech-M Magnesium trick. I also added some turbo snails which seem to help keep it down although I'm still battling other algae problems. I have a feeling not having a sump or a proper refugium is finally starting to catch up to me.

badbread said:
How did it go Durwin? I think I have bryopsis... :(

Glad to hear!

I just called DPV and they have a couple lettuce nudi's in stock, I'm going to go pick them up tonight and see how they do. If they don't work I guess I have to try the Tech-M route.

Cool...the lettuce nudi's would probably be a better option since I did lose some snails when I treated with the Tech-M. What are your mag levels at right now? Seems to me when I keep my mag levels around 1300-1400ppm, the algae stays somewhat in check. But when it drops below 1300, I start to see more pop up.

DurTBear said:
I did lose some snails when I treated with the Tech-M.

Mag is used as a tranquilizer in farming of gastropods, you can easily and safely remove them after they release their foot and place them in a small tank with normal mag levels. Long term exposure does indeed kill them.

How are you checking your PO4? Even if your test kit is reading 0, you might want to double check against another kit or with a PO4 meter.

I find that if algae kicks up in my tank, it's usually time to change out the GFO.

So I picked up two of those lettuce sea slugs. They have been going to town on the algae for what, 2-3 weeks now? They are doing a pretty good job. Some of the larger patches they avoid, but any frag plugs or rock is now almost totally clean. They are actually quite cool little creatures with their big eyes and enormous mouth.

Back