got ethical husbandry?

What eats this type of algae?

badbread said:
So I picked up two of those lettuce sea slugs. They have been going to town on the algae for what, 2-3 weeks now? They are doing a pretty good job. Some of the larger patches they avoid, but any frag plugs or rock is now almost totally clean. They are actually quite cool little creatures with their big eyes and enormous mouth.
Try pulling the longer patches by hand and then drop a Nudi right on the remains of the patch. I have noticed they sometimes have a hard time with Bryopsis that has grown fairly long, but once I pulled the majority of it off the rock, they cleaned up the remains of the patch quite well.

Aquarium concepts had 3 dwarf Sea Hares last week. The small one's aren't as active as the larger ones. I may be able to load out a larger sea hare in Jan .

Vodka does? This stuff is back on my frag rack and the turbos can't keep up with the long stuff. They'll eat some of it but I constantly have to prune and rip it off the rack.

Do you use a turkey baster and concentrate it on it or just general vodka dosing?

I just dump it straight into the tank. Not sure what the concentration is, but it's quite a bit. Go light on it at first and then work up if you're gonna try this. I've seen SPS lighten out or bleach at times.

I believe this is Bryopsis too?

My tank has been cycling for 1 month (I used brand new sand / live rock from an established tank). Should I wipe this out now, or still wait for the cycling to complete? As research suggests, Kent Tech-M is a good solution. I think now would be the answer because I don't really have anything in the tank (4 chromies, button polyps, kenya tree, mushroom)

I already have had my diatom bloom, in the first 2 weeks. Hermit crabs and snails have cleaned it all up after that since then.

On Saturday (March 13th):

Salinity 1.025
Nitrate - 2
Phosphate - 0
Ammonia - 0.25

Been running GFO and Carbon, Skimmer, and RO/DI water. Haven't dosed anything. Did first and only 10% water change on Sunday (March 14th).
All Instant Ocean salt so far.

P1000091-vi.jpg

Back