Reef nutrition

What fish eats brittle starfishes and stomatella snails?

GreshamH said:
rygh said:
If it is the tiny brittle stars, I am surprised to hear they are destroying zoas.
From everything I have heard, they are fairly beneficial detrivores.
Instead, they might be eating the already dead parts of the zoas, killed by something else,
or just eating detritus in and around the zoas.

If you do have a ton of mini brittle stars, that huge population could be a result of ideal conditions,
which means lots of detritus. That same condition could be killing zoas due to water quality.
And if that is the case, adding a fish likely would just add more detritus, and make it worse.

But that is a lot of "ifs". So really just some ideas to think about.

They don't eat them, but they sure as hell can irritate them into staying closed... as the old saying goes, a closed mouth doesn't get fed (light or food).

I also have some Cyphastrea that is having a hard time encrusting on the rocks because the brittle stars are all along the edges.

All you need to do to win a free X-Box 360 is enter your social security number and e-mail address below.
E-mail:___________
Social Securty Number:____________
:)

northbay-reefer said:
I have seen banana wrasse, and Lunar wrasse eat them in my tank

As do nearly all wrasses and hogfish, but nearly all are horrible selections for his 10 gallon tank :)

Sfork said:
GreshamH said:
rygh said:
If it is the tiny brittle stars, I am surprised to hear they are destroying zoas.
From everything I have heard, they are fairly beneficial detrivores.
Instead, they might be eating the already dead parts of the zoas, killed by something else,
or just eating detritus in and around the zoas.

If you do have a ton of mini brittle stars, that huge population could be a result of ideal conditions,
which means lots of detritus. That same condition could be killing zoas due to water quality.
And if that is the case, adding a fish likely would just add more detritus, and make it worse.

But that is a lot of "ifs". So really just some ideas to think about.

They don't eat them, but they sure as hell can irritate them into staying closed... as the old saying goes, a closed mouth doesn't get fed (light or food).

I also have some Cyphastrea that is having a hard time encrusting on the rocks because the brittle stars are all along the edges.

I had that issue with my first War Coral. I got a big chunk of tbe original colony from Matt shortly after he got it and that sucker was filled with mini brittles.

Back