got ethical husbandry?

What happen if cal and mag level change quickly??

Let say the level jump from 1000 to 1300 for mag and 300-450 for cal.. What could happen??

I'm seeing people recommend bringing the level up slowly but why??

Been dealing alot with mag recently. From what Ive read and can grasp, mag is related to calcium in terms of the amount of calcium concentration. If your mag is low then your calcuim will precipitate out in your tank, which is related to your dkh. If you raise your mag, my feeling is any calcium that is precipitating out will now be allowed to go up, in turn raising your dkh. My understanding is raising it quickly doesnt allow for the calcium and dkh to catch up and can cause problems with your readings. Meaning your calcium and dkh can be on the up and up and you wouldnt realize it. So probably your suppose to raise it then test to make sure everything says inline and doesnt throw your system off too much.

My understanding could be wrong but this is what Ive gathered from things Ive read.

From a personal experience, was using oceanic salt and found out the mag was 750 ish from a fresh mixed batch. Raised the mag levels in my tank and my calcuim which id had a hard time raising went from 380 to 440 without changing the amount of calcium I was dosing. Also, had been using reef buffer to raise my alk as it was always low. After starting to raise the mag my alk rose and is now very steady and Ive stopped dosing reef buffer.

My mag was extremely low (like 800's) and I raised it a little to fast in a water change batch. I think I raised it up to about 1200 just like that, my bad...

Mainly zoa's and bleached a little bit at the tips. It was really weird, the zoa's skirts got really pale, acans were fine, SPS was fine, but the zoa's really hated it. Finally this week my RPE's have gone back to normal, they had the pale looking, weak looking skirts for about 2 months.

Uhm, I guess so yea. They just looked very pale, i'll see if I can dig up a picture of what they looked like tonight when I get home.

I've raised 200ppm Mg in a day without any issues (I normally would max at 100 but went higher once).
The most I've raised Ca in one day was dosing 100ppm worth. No issues

..now, how much of the 200/100ppm actually went into solution and how much precipitated out, I didn't test right away to find out.

Back