Neptune Aquatics

What is a good setting..

to take pics at night time??

I'm going to VG soon. I want to take some good pics there. What setting would you use for a Nikon D40x with an 18-200mm len? I do have the external flash too. TIA :)..

Kinda everything Eric but I think night time with people. I want to be able to get a good shoot of the background too..

Not sure about the D40, but the D70 has an auto iso setting so it will increase the sensitivity if the shutter speed would be too low. (at the cost of noise). It's a good thing to enable for night shooting. I pretty much always shoot in aperture priority mode and usually with the aperture wide open (especially at night). How fast is your lens? Generally a zoom will be slower than a fixed lens, so I often use a fixed for night shots.

I also try to avoid using a flash whenever possible, but sometimes you just have to.

Pretty broad area of shooting there.

If you're indoors, use the flash, but bounce it off the ceiling. If the ceiling is too high or the subject is too far away, change the angle of the head or direct flash, but powered down.

For landscape night time shots, use your tripod and set manual exposure time so that the background will expose properly (take a couple of test shots to nail it down).

Back