High Tide Aquatics

what is a good source for cheap crabs for feeding my octopus

JRocha

Supporting Member
I have an octopus and he seems to love live crabs. he will not eat the 3 damsels I put in for him but will attack any crab that goes into his tank. I am looking to buy a big group of live crabs for him but everyone charges like 5 dollars a crab. I want something cheap and healthy to feed Squidward. Any ideas?

Go buy a crab trap or a ring an get some cat food or chicken parts.
Drop it in the bay and you got crabs!
You may need a fishing license and you can't keep dungeness.
you can get sand crabs at the beach at low tide also.
now that I think about it you can turn over a rock at low tide in the bay and find crabs.

IIRC if it is a man made structure yo do not need a fishing license, that's why the jetty in HMB always has people on it, they think they are going to be able to catch a bunch of fish for free :D

guys, small little crabs from the tidepools/reef/rocks ;) Not legal size eating crabs :D

crab_big.jpg

When I was a kid in socal we used to catch those on the jetties, a piece of fishing line and some meat, the crabs usually don't let go.

Will I get in trouble for taking these little guys, since they are so small? Or is it ok. I just started up a small brakish system to keep some fiddlers alive and feed them well so squidward gets a healthy and clean diet. Not too fond of crabs from the bay since a person is not supposed to eat it too many from there so not sure if that would be a godd idea. I might go hit up Linda Mar Beach in Pacifica by some rocks I know. I only live 5 minutes away to the beach so I will go hunting there. But would really like to know if I will get in trouble for pulling these small crabs out. Swuidward's head is only 1" so I can't imagine getting him anything bigger than his head.

tuberider said:
Try the jetty in HMB, it's loaded and you won't get a hard time from people since the folks on the jetty are from out of town ;)

nice. I think I might do that tomarrow since I am on my last fiddler crab for him. I also live in Pacifica so HMB is really close to me. Thanks

Go to an intertidal area at low tide and start flipping rocks. There will be Hemigrapsus under there that will be easy to catch by hand. The crab pictured above is a Pachygrapsus and are fast.
Take the damsels out - odds are they will start picking at the octo.

:D

fast? Guess that is relative. Caught those all my life... big ones are fast, but he doesn't want those puppies :)

JRocha said:
Will I get in trouble for taking these little guys, since they are so small? Or is it ok. I just started up a small brakish system to keep some fiddlers alive and feed them well so squidward gets a healthy and clean diet. Not too fond of crabs from the bay since a person is not supposed to eat it too many from there so not sure if that would be a godd idea. I might go hit up Linda Mar Beach in Pacifica by some rocks I know. I only live 5 minutes away to the beach so I will go hunting there. But would really like to know if I will get in trouble for pulling these small crabs out. Swuidward's head is only 1" so I can't imagine getting him anything bigger than his head.

You will only get in trouble if you get caught so I wouldn't worry about it at all .....LOL

Another way you can do it is put your octopus on a leash and then take him out and drop him into the bay every night for dinner :D :D

i've been around the oakland airport area and couldn't find any crabs. i think you need a license no matter where you go. there was some 'fishing cop' or something that stopped and asked if i needed any help when i was by the side of the road at a pier so i think they do check up on people. i did see a really scary stingray though.

thanks for the suggestions but I have yet to try this even though I should. we have been feeding him mostly fiddlers and red claw crabs, a few saltwater red crabs, and a nassurus snail. There's always tomarrow.

Back