High Tide Aquatics

What is the cheap way to raise Mag?

I bought an ESV bottle and that thing cost $14. According to the instruction, the bottle isn't going to last long. Is there a cheaper way? I'm very poor now.. Got to figure out how to save $$ ;D ..

Epsom salt will work from the grocery market. It is a sulfate salt (magnesium + sulfate) which may be problematic long term is you don't keep up with reasonable water changes.

then Epsom salt should work jsut fine :) I think it is a couple bucks for a 2quart size container of it :-D Just be sure to don't get a scented one lol (It is often used as a bath salt...)

how diluted is that stuff like Tech-M? I mean hell magnesium is a very slow depleting element according to Randy, I can't imagine that ... ok I can imagine they'd sell you super diluted stuff to dose and go through very quickly... :D

But yeah epsom salts is a cheap way, order some magflakes from BRS if you must though.

Don't know about the Tech-M stuff. For ESV - 1.5 ml per gallon to raise 15ppm per day or 100ppm per week.

I found the calculator online. Thanks guys!

Yeah... I will order some soon.. Does Mag flake work better than the premade one like ESV? Seachem also has a dry powder stuff. Wondering if that stuff is ok too.. I can order Seachem from place like PA or MD, which I can order other stuff (save on shipping).

Phong the thing with magnesium is that it takes a LOT of make up one batch. You would be better off buying it from bulk reef supply than from PA or MD.

Mag flake is magnesium chloride. Epson salt is magnesium sulfate. Chloride is more reef friendly, think salt.

Thanks Ian.. I will order them from BRS then.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6568.msg84438#msg84438 date=1235583722]
The SeaChem stuff is just repackaged Epsom salt :D
[/quote]
>:( that's not cool..

I think Randy's 3 part uses both Magnesium Chloride AND Magnesium Sulfate.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#6

4 pounds of epsom salt costs about 3 bucks at Longs Drugstore.

We (forum members) haven't been able to find a good source of local MgCl, though Robert does have an opportunity to get some from his chemical supplier, we're not at all sure about the "other" contents of the MgCl bag. ie; it's not proven to be completely safe. (but what ever is?)

V

Back