Reef nutrition

What is the cheap way to raise Mag?

Does any Home Depot here carry Mag flake?

BTW, this is a good clip regards to Mag flake and Epson salt mixing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76asvMWcEM4

magflakes (or Magnesium Chloride hexahydrate) is basically a de-icing agent in the same way that Dow-flakes (calcium chloride) is, so with that said, and the fact it doesn't snow here... you'd be really hard pressed to get them at any store locally.

Maybe if you go up to Tahoe you can find some...anyone going?

V

Elite, read Randy's article on why the Mag Cl and the Mag Sulfate are mixed. Though here is the recipe per Randy's article;

"Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing."

People in Sac have found it, and even people up in Santa Rosa. (MG flake that is)

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6568.msg84564#msg84564 date=1235598597]
Maybe if you go up to Tahoe you can find some...anyone going?

[/quote]
Before I found the wonder that is pool supply stores I went looking in Tahoe on a trip for Dow-Flakes, didn't see any though, however I do recall seeing magnesium products, so who knows maybe they do have them. It was quite fun too driving from hardware store to hardware store while the girlfriend was wondering when we're going to get to play in the snow :D

I bought BRS starter magnesium which I consider cheap compared to name brand. It's already mixed with the Mg chloride and sulfide. Just add water.

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6568.msg84551#msg84551 date=1235591691]
I think Randy's 3 part uses both Magnesium Chloride AND Magnesium Sulfate.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#6

4 pounds of epsom salt costs about 3 bucks at Longs Drugstore.

We (forum members) haven't been able to find a good source of local MgCl, though Robert does have an opportunity to get some from his chemical supplier, we're not at all sure about the "other" contents of the MgCl bag. ie; it's not proven to be completely safe. (but what ever is?)

V

[/quote]

I am just gonna bring in some bulk mag chloride from the brand I mentioned a while back in the other thread and try it myself. I won't be able to give any conclusion on the product for a while though. It would be really cool if this brand fits our need as I can get tons of it locally.

Robert, you bum, Zepplock and I drove all the way to your store this afternoon and you were closed on a Wednesday!
The door was open, we could see inside but were turned away at the door...sooo close.

I encourage the MgCl bulk buy. I asked RHF about it and he gave an non-commital "Mag Flake is safe".
I would definitely buy some from you if you bulk buy it, and it doesn't cause sudden coral death!

V

It won't be a sudden death but rather something that will build up over time most likely :(

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6568.msg84602#msg84602 date=1235606766]
It won't be a sudden death but rather something that will build up over time most likely :(
[/quote]

True, but that's the same issue with using Epsom Salts alone.

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6568.msg84617#msg84617 date=1235608951]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6568.msg84602#msg84602 date=1235606766]
[/quote]

True, but that's the same issue with using Epsom Salts alone.

V

[/quote]

Kinda but a build up of what could be much worse, like heavy metals, arsenic, etc. A build up a sulfates isn't all that bad compared to what can happen :)

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6568.msg84599#msg84599 date=1235605922]
Robert, you bum, Zepplock and I drove all the way to your store this afternoon and you were closed on a Wednesday!
The door was open, we could see inside but were turned away at the door...sooo close.

I encourage the MgCl bulk buy. I asked RHF about it and he gave an non-commital "Mag Flake is safe".
I would definitely buy some from you if you bulk buy it, and it doesn't cause sudden coral death!

V

[/quote]

Sorry about that Vince. Cerissa said she felt really bad that she dissed you like that but she really needed to send her fish out to a customer. Wed. is usually our shipout date so that's why we're close on that day to accomodate our out of state customers.

She's feeling real bad right now...in fact...you just made her cry! lol

V

[/quote]

Hey Vince!!!!

I felt sooooo bad having to turn you guys away... I was on my way out to ship fish out by a certain time frame and I was running late already too. I couldn't leave the store open and unlocked. Soooo sorry!!!!! I still feel so bad! ::)

The door was open because I couldn't breathe inside with all the heat and humidity in there. ;-)

[quote author=Cerissa link=topic=6568.msg84647#msg84647 date=1235617161]

V

[/quote]

Hey Vince!!!!

I felt sooooo bad having to turn you guys away... I was on my way out to ship fish out by a certain time frame and I was running late already too. I couldn't leave the store open and unlocked. Soooo sorry!!!!! I still feel so bad! ::)

The door was open because I couldn't breathe inside with all the heat and humidity in there. ;-)

[/quote]

Hey no sweat! Don't feel bad, I was just ribbing Robert no big deal. Vlad and I wanted to check out the store then realized that years ago this was the same store we went to when he was really really into Cichlids he bought some "German Rams" back then. But there was hardly any saltwater tanks at all. This was 3 years ago or something.

We've had the same luck before going to Aquatic Gallery and finding them closed on a Monday, leading us to wonder ... What the heck is with these weird days?

We'll be back antoher non-Wednesday day.

Elite...who the heck checks store hours at 3pm on a weekday?

V

I can't tell you how many times I've run over to Aquatic Gallery on a Monday. It's only in the last month or two that I've got it through my thick skull that they are closed on Monday. Previously... I would remember their store hours just as I was driving into their parking lot! >:(

Back