Cali Kid Corals

What is the worst nuisance you've had to deal with?

What's the nastiest stuff you had to deal with? Here's my list.

1. Dictyota Algae
2. Bryopsis Algae
3. Hydrozoids
4. Caulerpa Nummularia
5. Dinoflagellate
6. Zoanthid eating nudi's

Forgot what it's called, but the red poofy algae. It doesn't cling onto things very well, but that is it's benefit as it gets blown around the tank, stuck between the branches of corals, or even growing between polyps, nasty nasty stuff.

Flatworms
Red turf algae (red cotton algae in your case mike?)
Caulerpa
Geeze, and I had them all in the same tank at once -what a mother! :-[

At home:

Bryopsis. The single most annoying thing in my reef over time. I guess monti nudies or AEFW were annoying too, but bryopsis seems forever.

At work:
Red puffy algae.

Along with the flatworms, red algae above, i'm also very annoying with

Dosing Vodka - seeing algae bloom, whit stringy strands all over my sump, skimming nasty stinky stuff, lost most of Purple algae,...and still not getting it right. Oh and testing nitrates and phosphate :-(

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=6774.msg87406#msg87406 date=1236697474]
A rogue six line wrasse
Ian spending my money
[/quote]

Bryan, ian (and lapsan!) tried to spend mine yesterday lol. His influence is strong and my will may break with "residual ian". Soon, I'll be a zombie and must have brains. very pretty brains!

and my sixline...he decided to jumo out of the tank a couple of weeks ago. too bad I actually liked him.

Yeah Ian is a silvered tongue person, whenever I see him he's always saying "Mike I think you should get it.." it being anything I'm looking at :D I think that's the real way he gets first pick at everything that comes in the stores, he brings in business for them :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6774.msg87410#msg87410 date=1236698171]
Yeah Ian is a silvered tongue person, whenever I see him he's always saying "Mike I think you should get it.." it being anything I'm looking at :D I think that's the real way he gets first pick at everything that comes in the stores, he brings in business for them :D

[/quote]

I believe the exact wording is "Dude, you need to get [insert expensive item here]" :)

I have to know Tony, what did I almost make you buy yesterday.

I thought I was clear in my hint :p a brain. I still may get one of them. I'm trying to fill out my LPS portfolio and that is one thing I don't have yet.

- Aiptasia (still fighting, will soon get pep shrimps to help me out)
- Son of Aiptasia
- Zombie Aiptasia rising after being killed 15 times
- Red poof (Mexican turbo cleared this right up)
- Grape Caulerpa in main tank (change in bulb colour from 10k to 14+k killed this off!)
- Green hair algae (still fighting with the help of GFO and less feeding, more water changes, soon a toothbrush)
- red flatworms (Flatworm Exit works great, but is scary to watch your cerith snails curl up)
- cyanobacteria (Chemi-clean works, but is a touch scary because it migth kill off all the bacteria)
- Lack of reef funds (must wait until kids are out of college and supporting me for a change (20 years))

V

These are the best solutions I found:

1. Bryopsis - raise magnesium to 1500-1600 using Tech M
2. Aiptasia - Kleins Butterfly that nipped at corals too but was removed once the aiptasia was gone
3. Red Cotton Algae - Mexican Turbo aka bulldozers
4. Cyano - Flow, water quality, chemiclean as last resort
5. Zoa Nudis - Six line and constant freshwater/iodine dips
6. Dictyota - Still fighting
7. Caulerpa Nummularia - Still fighting
8. Dinoflagellates - Turkey baster

Mine is also a red algae but is bristle like and not poofy at all. Don't know what it is called but very hard to remove by hand (won't blow off) even scraping with a brush. Only thing that worked for me is a tuxedo urchin...but now that he's finished mowing it down....he's into the moving business and transporting stuff all over the tank. Always something happening in the tank.

Back