Our mission

What is the worst nuisance you've had to deal with?

Yeah that red poof killed a majority of my acros in the old tank, mexican turbos did hammer it, they've died out I think, but luckily the other herbivores (fish I'm guessing) have taken a liking to it... maybe why they're fat

Aiptasia is a nuisance but not horrid, I can aiptasia-x the crap out of it, and it keeps it in check until I let it get bigger, I am tempted to go the copperband route though, but I am worried about my LPS and clams

Hiepatitis...so the elevated magnesium levels really worked? I've seen threads about this on RC, but I don't have a mag testing kit. If it truly does work I'm quite willing to try it out! Ithink I'd just bring a water sample into the LFS and have them check magnesium for me, rather than buy the expensive kit that is impossible to use. (though they may have just a hard a time as I would, they are the "pros" right?)

I'd probably use epsom salt to raise the mag.

My attempts at lowering phosphates, nitrates and keeping the water clean are not quite killing off my green hair algae. I'm going to "Scrub with a toothbrush" next. Then do the mag thing if.

Good thread! I hope people post their solutions as well as their nuisances!

V

The teck m works for some. However, it can effect your sps and the bryopsis often makes a comeback. It is also the case that only Tech M has an effect on bryopsis, not other Mag supps.

The Tech M worked for me. You should buy a test kit if you're going this route. I was gonna pull my hair out until I tried this. It's been gone since then but maybe because the dictyota and caulerpa absorb all the nutrients.

Monti eating nudi's was mine, not so much the nidi's themsleves but the flase sense of safety only to have the unseen babies hatch and basicly distory evey monti colony I had at the time, gone now but it was a long and painful battle which took a lot of the color from my tank.

I have to say monti nudis for me as well. I tooks all the montis out scrubbed them really good with a tooth bush and TMPCC dip. Did this over and over and over and .... Then a couple months later I would see them again. lol. Its been at least a year since I've seen one last.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=6774.msg87524#msg87524 date=1236716971]
iirc, it isn't so much the mag, but likely some unknown impurity in TechM.
[/quote]

Wow, really? That is amazing! I mean I remember reading threads where people said "Yeah, it works" and then "Nah, it didn't work" and it turns out that it wasn't the mag, it was the Tech M? That's so weird!

When I first started my 10g nano, I had so much hair algae, it was amazing. I attacked it with crabs, snails, added a sump and a way over-spec'ed skimmer (I added a 10g sump and then an AquaC-EV120 skimmer) and it went away. I think part of what worked was scrubbing the rocks so that it didn't have a "beach head" to regrow. That's my next step before I pick up any Tech M.

V

Euphyllia said:
Just finished a year long battle with aptasia! I won... :bigsmile:

Cool! What did you use to battle it?

I just bought a very expensive "refill" bottle of Aiptasia-X. It has so far killed a large majority of my aiptasias. I think the key here is to do it every once in a while to keep the polulation under control and not really think that I'll ever get rid of it.

V

Euphyllia said:
Don't count your chickens. They like to come back from the joes juice slime.
BTW how did you do it? Smother them with BTA's? :D

I guess the algae problems are next.
I have already dealt with or am dealing with all the other stuff.
QT
QT
QT
QT is your friend.
I got Monti eating nudi's on a frag at the last swap.
I ended up tossing almost everything I picked up.

Vincerama2 said:
Euphyllia said:

Cool! What did you use to battle it?

I just bought a very expensive "refill" bottle of Aiptasia-X. It has so far killed a large majority of my aiptasias. I think the key here is to do it every once in a while to keep the polulation under control and not really think that I'll ever get rid of it.

V

Didn't cost me anything. All I did was boil a pot of water and use a syringe to squirt the boiling water right in the aptaisia's hole. No corals harmed, nothing mistakingly eating poison. The boiling water quickly cools off to it doesn't bother any fish or corals, but it melts the aptasia when the boiling water fresh-water fills it's hole. However it is awkward to go into Target, go up to the medicine counter, and ask the lady for a syringe. My mom came with me and specified that I didn't want the needle and I had to explain what I was going to use the syringe for. She was very nice and she gave me one. :bigsmile:
One thing I learned from this is experience is that if you shoot boiling water on the pretty purple coraline algae that grows on rocks, it turns bright red! H)

Back