What is this....

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Klems, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

What is growing on my banded trochus snail shell? Should I leave it or trim it off? Seems to be bothering my corals as it cruises by now and then...

Attached Files:

2. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

3. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Doesn't seem like that is it....looks more like cheating growing on the shell of the snail.

4. cbrennan4

cbrennan4 Guest

Looks like chaeto macro algae

5. coral4me

coral4me Supporting Member

I agree, it does resemble the looks of chaeto, although I'd say it's some type of tube worm. I had colonial-hydroids which look harmless, but give off a nasty sting that lasts several days. Granted, colonial-hydroids look different (shorter and beige), but to error an the safe side you may want to get rid of them before your snail distributed them around the tank, making future removal much more difficult. Best of luck!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Hydroids sting what, you?

7. coral4me

coral4me Supporting Member

Yeah me, I've heard they can sting corals too, but I've got some pretty good stings from them. It took me a while to figure out what was causing the stings. They look pretty much like the attached pic, they can quickly retract like a feather duster which makes them hard to kill with Aptaisa-X. They are also hard to pull off the rocks with tweezers. My pigmy angel has been the best method towards keeping the hydroids in check.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Huh, crazy. Never felt a thing from them before. Anybody else?

9. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Hydroids
    Kill at will!!
    Very bad

10. gaberosenfield

gaberosenfield Juvenile Chromis over an Acro in the Red Sea

I have little fluorescent green ones in my tank. They never hurt me or anything else as far as I can tell, and they don't spread very quickly either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk