got ethical husbandry?

What is this....

Klems

Supporting Member
What is growing on my banded trochus snail shell? Should I leave it or trim it off? Seems to be bothering my corals as it cruises by now and then...

Attachments

• IMG_20160314_094916696.jpg
    IMG_20160314_094916696.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 235
I agree, it does resemble the looks of chaeto, although I'd say it's some type of tube worm. I had colonial-hydroids which look harmless, but give off a nasty sting that lasts several days. Granted, colonial-hydroids look different (shorter and beige), but to error an the safe side you may want to get rid of them before your snail distributed them around the tank, making future removal much more difficult. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Yeah me, I've heard they can sting corals too, but I've got some pretty good stings from them. It took me a while to figure out what was causing the stings. They look pretty much like the attached pic, they can quickly retract like a feather duster which makes them hard to kill with Aptaisa-X. They are also hard to pull off the rocks with tweezers. My pigmy angel has been the best method towards keeping the hydroids in check.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 2.55.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 2.55.14 PM.png
    384 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I have little fluorescent green ones in my tank. They never hurt me or anything else as far as I can tell, and they don't spread very quickly either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back