Neptune Aquatics

What other lens should I get?

I'm going to get the Nikon 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII (saving $ :D ). Is this thing good for macro shoot? Is there a "cheap" macro len?? ;D

It's not very good for macro shots.

Is $300 cheap? If that is to you, then the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 1:1 Macro is amazing. I've used this lens for ALL of my shots, and it does a helluva job. Otherwise you can get the Nikkor version that's $800... which produces images slightly better, but not enough for me and you to probably tell the difference.

It's a useful lens too, I took this with the sigma 105mm macro as well:

and

1994914044_2ac93e02bc.jpg

Depends on how much you want to spend on a macro lens and exactly what you're shooting.

$300 Sigma used by Art, or if you don't mind a shorter lens, then Nikon 60mm micro
$360 Tamron 90mm (by far the sharpest of all the macro lenses)
$800 Nikon 105mm VR

Nice shot of the FWs Art ;D .. j/k ;)

$800 is too much. $360 is ok. I was hoping for somewhere around $100 :D ..

I will look into the Sigma and Tamron ..

Thanks guys!!

AIS will work on all current Nikon DSLR bodies. It's the non-AI lenses that you have to worry about, when mounting them will cause damage.

You lose metering and autofocus w/D40(x), but that's something that you can work around. You get the hang out of it after awhile and that's how I picked up macro shooting in the beginning. I still have a 55mm f/3.5 AI micro that's actually older than I am.

Elite, I just broke down and got the Rebel XTI with 3 lenses canon 18-55mm, canon 55-300mm, and the Canon 100mm macro lense(I heard its one of the best macro lense), so am good to go :D :D will post nice pictures of corals when I get it.

[quote author=northbay-reefer link=topic=2662.msg28457#msg28457 date=1197916389]
Elite, I just broke down and got the Rebel XTI with 3 lenses canon 18-55mm, canon 55-300mm, and the Canon 100mm macro lense(I heard its one of the best macro lense), so am good to go :D :D will post nice pictures of corals when I get it.
[/quote]

Yeah Tom.. post some pics ;D ..

Art, so are you selling your len soon?? ;D

I may sell my Sigma 105mm F/2.8 1:1 Macro for a Nikon 105mm VR =/ but my sigma works pretty damn good, I'm not sure I *need* the Nikkor version at all...

Back