got ethical husbandry?

What r these

I don't think they r flat worm. I found them on a few frags i got the other day. And plucked them off before putting the frag in my tank r they bad for my tank. And what r they.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image1459139690.583984.jpg
Image1459139710.073312.jpg
Image1459139724.377838.jpg

Last edited:
I got those same chitons on a frag yesterday and hoped they were "good" chitons. I had some tiny mystery snails and since I could not ID I put them in our Beaker of Doom.

Chitons:

Harmless ime. Anecdotal reports of large ones scarring acrylic tanks. Algae eaters, small species are a beneficial addition to your tank.

Stomatella:

A great hitchhiker! Algae eating, and a broadcast spawner that will occasionally launch eggs into your tank in small doses that will mostly get rapidly eaten by corals.

Agree with posts above.

Remember to dip your corals.

There are some BAD pest species out there that you cannot pick off with your fingers. Example: red flatworms, acropora eating flatworms, zoa eating nudibranchs, zoa eating spiders.

Often times they hide during the day in rock crevices or under a coral or under the frag plug.

Dipping using something like Revive, CoralRx, or Bayer accompanied with flow knocks them off.

Chitons:

Harmless ime. Anecdotal reports of large ones scarring acrylic tanks. Algae eaters, small species are a beneficial addition to your tank.

I'll add to the anecdotal reports. I had an acrylic tank with many small Chitons. After a few months the bottom half of the tank looked like frosted glass. Upon inspection with a 10x loupe the 'teeth' marks could be clearly seen.

IMO these are a pest. Beware!

Agree with posts above.

Remember to dip your corals.

There are some BAD pest species out there that you cannot pick off with your fingers. Example: red flatworms, acropora eating flatworms, zoa eating nudibranchs, zoa eating spiders.

Often times they hide during the day in rock crevices or under a coral or under the frag plug.

Dipping using something like Revive, CoralRx, or Bayer accompanied with flow knocks them off.
Does iodine work just the same

Back