Cali Kid Corals

What salt to use?

Since I lost my supply of Aquavitro Salinity due to a store closing, I decided to go a new direction for salt, it seems easier than filling the Prius with buckets every other month at meetings (assuming any of those stores over there carry it).

So mostly, are there any salts to avoid?

Any salts that are well worth the added cost?

I mean I've talked to a few reps at Reefapalooza, but lets be honest their soul point of being there is to sell their product to you as a customer by telling you how incredibly awesome it is.

Using Aquavitro Salinity here...

Have you tried Steve @ DC Aquatics? (At least I hope he isn't the one that closed up).

Ehh - I use plain old instant ocean. Not even reef crystals.

Mixes well. Cheap. Very consistent from batch to batch.

It is slightly high in Alk, low in Mg and Calcium, but always the same, so easily tweaked,
not that it is off enough to really matter to me.

Doh... sorry, I'm in San Francisco. East bay is out unless it's that shop that's near the college where the meetings are. I know there are a couple stores farther down the peninsula in San Mateo (and I see Belmont) but I'm getting miserly with my gas money, so I'm not going anywhere to browse anymore and need to absolutely certain they have what I want in stock :D

I used Reef Crystals.... way the hell long ago, tried the Red Sea version I think (before they got the pretty new labels), Reef Salt from Seachem seemed ok... Aquavitro is the latest I've used, and I thought it was also Seachem which kind of made me wonder about having competing lines within the same company.

Also got a tiny bucket of H2 Ocean Pro+ downstairs I won at a meeting a long time ago, maybe enough to do one water change worth though. Not enough to see if it's "good" though. Tropic Marin is a bit on the pricy side for me, I'll need to use a lot of salt.

I am trying to decide whether to use salt mix or NSW for my new project. Anyone know of a source to deliver to a residence and what the cost would be compared to mixing salt?

I think you normally go through a LFS to get water delivered, I know many stores cost around $1/gallon and that's picking it up in a store with your own bucket, so maybe that should be a good starting point to cost although I expect it to cost. So compare that to a 150g of salt mix that would cost about 1/3 that amount.

There are a few brands out there that have premade water in "boxes", Nutri(nutro?), Petco sells prepacked Catalina NSW I believe.

Might want to check the large reef tank subforum at Reef Central, there are a couple guys with tanks >500g that get delivered water, might want to ask them the company.

I use "Microbe lift" salt. I get it from Neptunes in 7 gallon buckets. LOVE IT! Dissolves quickly with no precip.

Alk will drop after a day or two, so you will have to adjust accordingly. Calcium is normal as this salt is designed to be used with a calcium reactor. Mag is AWESOME! Haven't dosed Mag since I started using this. Gives me a reason to hit Neptunes every couple of months.

Kensington Reefer has water delivered. Something about it being hard hauling dry salt up a few stairs! :)

It might be cost effective if you get enough at once. Perhaps Erin will enlighten us on his process.

Edit...
I see he answered in Gimmito's build thread.

I use "Microbe lift" salt. I get it from Neptunes in 7 gallon buckets. LOVE IT! Dissolves quickly with no precip.

Alk will drop after a day or two, so you will have to adjust accordingly. Calcium is normal as this salt is designed to be used with a calcium reactor. Mag is AWESOME! Haven't dosed Mag since I started using this. Gives me a reason to hit Neptunes every couple of months.
I'm using the same thing! Its expensive though! ARG! With my small tank it should last a while.

Ive been using Seachem's Reef Salt with no issues. I think if you put 10 of us in the same room you may get 6-10 different answers. Some like this brand while others like that brand.

Me too but it has low mag.
Most salt mixes seem to be low on Mag.

What I usually do is add the magnesium FIRST. (Often solid two part, not even pre-mixed)
Let that mix a few minutes, then add the salt mix.
Having the magnesium in there first will help a bit to keep the salt mix from
precipitating calcium carbonate as it mixes.
Not perfect, but I think I see a bit of difference on residue on the bottom of my mixing barrel.

Plus done regularly it eliminates the need for a MG doser.

Back