Our mission

What temperature do you run your tank at?

What temperature do you run your tank at?

Votes: 3 11.1%

Votes: 2 7.4%

Votes: 2 7.4%

Votes: 13 48.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
I'm curious as to what temperature everyone runs their tank at and if they have any reasoning as to why or any advice.

74, I used to run at 78-79 but I’ve seen others run 74 with sps and it saves electricity during colder times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

74, I used to run at 78-79 but I’ve seen others run 74 with sps and it saves electricity during colder times.

Wow I didn't realize people ran them that low. I added it to the poll options! Also curious to hear if you saw any differences?

I try to keep it at around 77-78, but with the warmer days, its gets to around 81.
Yeah that was one issue that came to mind with keeping a tank at 74 and that is that you have to keep the house/room pretty cool and be sure it doesn't get warmer than that.

My tank will gradually moves to higher temperature at 78-79 during hotter days, but never above that. I will use fan if that ever happens, but that temp rise happens slowly, not like it would jump to 78 from 74 in a day. And all my tanks are in garage and I have about 300g of water.

76 to Save energy. I Live in sf. Sump and frag tanks are in insulated fish room in garage. I Keep tanks covered for fish safety and conservation of energy and water. I believe coral growth would likely be faster at a slightly higher temp, but I’m not running a race and stability is really what matters.

During the summer your tank goes from 74 to 79, isn’t that quite a swing in temperature in a given day. While keeping it at 78, During a warm day, would only be a swing of 1°. I guess my question is; is a temperature swing of 5° detrimental in anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the summer your tank goes from 74 to 79, isn’t that quite a swing in temperature in a given day. While keeping it at 78, During a warm day, would only be a swing of 1°. I guess my question is; is a temperature swing of 5° detrimental in anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@ashburn2k said it would NOT jump that high in a day.

I previously kept mine at 78 but I think I’ll go down to 76 in the next build.

What's up with 77 being listed twice in the poll?
Ashburn, I thought your tank felt cold when I was there, although I can't argue with your coloration.

I set my heaters to 77, but that's a bit of a carryover from TX. During the winter that leaves me warm enough that a power outage will likely be resolved before the tank gets too cold (74ish) but more importantly gives me cover for the warm days when things get warm. During the summer months when the house is warmer it tends to run 80-82. I know someone else there who happily ran his tank at 74-76 in the winter and 82-85 in the summer. I wouldn't recommend running that full span in a 24 hour period, but I haven't noticed much difference summer vs. winter.

Back