Neptune Aquatics

what temperature do you run your tank?

I have an Aquacontroller, and I just use its default temp. For Dec. , I believe it's 76. For the summer months, it's warmer.

IIRC my controller has is set to 78°F with a hysteresis of 1°F meaning if it drops to 77° it'll flip on until it gets to 79°F then it'll turn off.

hmmm...oops, I keep mine between 81 and 84. Or I should say, I turn my Visitherm heater to some unrelated marked temp and the temp turns out around 81. I nthe summer, it's higher.

I didn't realize that 77-78 was the "norm!".

V

My goal is just under 78. If I hit 77 or 80 there is something wrong with my heating/cooling. Like Vince I also do not follow what my heater setting states but measure the temp with a thermometer. I believe one of my heaters is set at 72, the other is at 75 and the final one is 76. They do not all turn on at once but all of them will be on before the temp gets to 77.5 degrees.

BTW, side note, I hate how my Arctica chiller has a two degree swing. I.E. it is set to 78, but turns on at 79 and off at 77. At a 1/4HP it can do this very quickly in my 200G of water. I found a good way of avoiding this was running the chiller outlet very close to the inlet (if you are using a dedicated pump). This way the chiller "thinks" it has dropped down to 77 when it is probably more like 78.5 in the tank. Sure it turns on more often, but for less time. I just hate the thought of a 2 degree temp swing in a matter of 15 minutes.

Jeeze Matt, your chiller can drop 200g of water by 2 degrees in 15 minutes? Yanno if you had a nice controller you can set that swing for whatever you want :D

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=5352.msg66388#msg66388 date=1227930882]
hmmm...oops, I keep mine between 81 and 84. Or I should say, I turn my Visitherm heater to some unrelated marked temp and the temp turns out around 81. I nthe summer, it's higher.

I didn't realize that 77-78 was the "norm!".

V
[/quote]

I used to keep 80-84. The heater kick in all the time because my wife like to keep the house cool. That's why I keep my tank around 78 now.

77.5 is what I shoot for. I can creep up to about 79 possibly 80 during those few really hot days suring the year and perhaps go as low as 76 during the really cool nights.

Jeeze Matt, your chiller can drop 200g of water by 2 degrees in 15 minutes? Yanno if you had a nice controller you can set that swing for whatever you want Cheesy

OK, maybe 15 min was an exaggeration but you get the point. I hate how chillers have that 2 degree swing in them.

I believe the 2 degree swing keeps them from clicking on and off all of the time and helps increase the life of the compressor. Just speculation though.

Back