Our mission

What the hell happened

I go to work and come home and I guess you guys decided to give out all the good corals while I was gone, that's what I get for not sitting at the computer all day :'(

oooh no worries jeremy, I've saved you a whole idaho grape frag! Just for you! heck I'll engrave your name onto the frag plug =)

btw, what a great sudden explosion of DBTC corals though huh? I guess after the swap people decided to look at their tanks and got back into the groove of things. most likely just clearing space for all the idaho grape frags they pounced on from the swap...

I seriously believe that the club has slowly been building critical mass to get to this point.

It has been on the verge of happening for a while now.

It's all the good will and coral karma finally comiing together :D

No worries Jeremy, I don't do my DBTC first come first serve. I know that people need time to get to their puters :D

Couldn't make the swap and am taking a look at a couple more frags tomorrow night so just need a bit of space in the tank and sump. Figure might as well clear some stuff out. :)

Also, after losing the two frags from ya, I felt a bit down. :-

I went straight from work to the recording studio till 10pm, it felt like driving past the surf when its good.

It's good to see people stepping it up, it is kinda funny how the DBTC gets active, then slows down, then active again. Sometimes all it takes is someone like Eric to chum the pond.

You guys are right though I already have too much coral, mebbie I need to put some more into the program.

my question is, id there any other club in America that we know about that has any similar program. Becasue i don't think we should keep this a secret. this is one of the greatest things about this club and this hobby in general. people giving coral away for free to help propagation and ease the collection off the reefs. Do we have something in the works to make this know to othere clubs (besides MR) and share with them this wonderfull program.

I/ We would like to know more about how this program functions. I get the gist, and think it is fantastic, but frankly I'm not even sure what DBTC actually stands for:)

DBTC stands for dont break the chain. kinda a pay it forward sort of thing.

but i think we need more participation from the club. if you notice it is the same 20 or so people posting and trading. i think we should heavily focus on this at a meeting. and let people know that any coral is a good coral for DBTC. just so we can get some more common stuff for people who don't meet the criteria for say some monti setosa, or undata, or TPM. my 2 cents

DBTC is sort of our internal pass around cool corals kind of ala the old Prell commercials (and they told two friends and so on and so on). Essentially you post up a frag with requirements and you pass it out free for propagation. Typically the most common requirement is you agree to make 2 frags of it and pass it on before you can trade it etc.

Right now it is an internal program so only paid members can participate. We are working to branch it out though in the future.

The crazyness relates to some of the corals that are being offered up.

Ah. Nice. FWIW, I personally have never been comfortable selling frags. ( my elders in the hobby always gave things away for free and out of respect to them I continue the tradition) so this is a very appealing idea to this reefer. Folks on MR are quite generous amongst friends, but it is quite commercial otherwise. I'd love to get something like this started.

Randy

There has always been a pretty big outpouring of genorisity as it realtes to our club especially in this program.

Lately it has just gotten down right crazy.

Randy,

Here's some background info:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=829.0

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=1903.0

Feel free to share that with your MR friends.

We should be doing some inter-club DBTC soon :D

[quote author=LordHelmet link=topic=3036.msg33056#msg33056 date=1202930130]
but i think we need more participation from the club. if you notice it is the same 20 or so people posting and trading. i think we should heavily focus on this at a meeting. and let people know that any coral is a good coral for DBTC. just so we can get some more common stuff for people who don't meet the criteria for say some monti setosa, or undata, or TPM. my 2 cents
[/quote]

Fear not!!!! Once I get some encrusting, I'll be dumping in the anti-extreme DBTC brown SPS for the newbies who want to try their hands guilt free on SPS :p I have 9 frags on standby!

Thanks I'll have a look. Looking forward to some continued inter-club activity. We are very, very happy with the way this has evolved so far and glad that several of your members have registered at MR.

Back