Kessil

What to do in a power outage?

So being that the weather is bad and there is a possibility of losing power for a few hours or more I thought I would ask about what people do during one. For my 40 breeder I have a battery powered air pump and but wanted to know how others get heat into their tank. I have a gas stove and if needed could heat water but don't know how to transfer that heat to my tank. I was thinking of using a aluminum or plastic water bottle with warm water in it, but I am unsure if this is a bad idea or not. So any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks all.

Or a generator :) This is what I use to power my REEF TANK, TV, and BEER COOLER during a power outage.

Model EU200i http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=sq

Think it maxs out around 17amps

You cant even here it run! PLUS with the tri-fuel kit it will operate on Gasoline, Propane, and Natural Gas.

Best money I ever spent, hands down!

A generator or battery backup are in the future as money allows there are for sure my next big purchase. I am asking more as to what people do without one?

MP40's have a battery back up.
I also have a UPS for my main return pump.
If I am out for more than 4-5 hours I would drag the generator out of the garage.

jacuzzi said:
A generator or battery backup are in the future as money allows there are for sure my next big purchase. I am asking more as to what people do without one?

Battery powered airation is a start. But to answer your question about the heater, if you do have a power outage the only energy source you will have will be the stove. "As you stated" Transfering the heat indirectly with CLEAN bottles would most likely work but would pretty hard to maintain the temp. level.

The only outher option would be another electrical energy source, battery backup, generator, etc. to power your heaters.

Maybe someone else has an idea ?

Don't heat it. Lower temp slows the system's metabolism and helps more O2 dissolve in the water.

Use your air pump, tubing, and some pvc pipe and elbows to make an air lift for water circulation. No air stone. Big bubbles work better for the air lift.

You could cover the outside of the tank with styrofoam or reflective insulation if you like.

I've been exploring this over the last couple of weeks.
I'm guilty of 0 preperation.. buing 10 min from silicon valley, I cant remember the power being off for more than 10 min for 30+ years.

This doesnt excuse me from being prepaired.

I heat w/ natural gas in my house.. The house pretty much heats my tank..
I hardly ever run a heater and my tank is big enough the temp is pretty stabil.

I run MP 40 and backups are being ordered. I have been thinking about converting a honda power washer into a generator / welder ;)

My power was out for 5 hours last night.
Tank temp dropped 1 degree.
UPS for my main pump and battery back up for Vortechs worked like a charm.

Mr. Ugly said:
Don't heat it. Lower temp slows the system's metabolism and helps more O2 dissolve in the water.

Use your air pump, tubing, and some pvc pipe and elbows to make an air lift for water circulation. No air stone. Big bubbles work better for the air lift.

You could cover the outside of the tank with styrofoam or reflective insulation if you like.

Thanks Norm. Saved me some typing.

Back