What to feed clownfish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by kinetic, Sep 28, 2017.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

It's been awhile since I fed fish (other than a freshwater betta). What's the latest?

I plan on feeding:

Ultra Marine Clownfish Pellets
    Every day (twice a day). Is this good? Otherwise I'll go with Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/100-ml-ultra-marine-soft-clownfish-medium-pellets-fauna-marin.html

PE Frozen Mysis
    Every other day?
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/frozen-mysis-shrimp-piscine-energetics.html

Arcti-pods / Cyclopeez
    Maybe not every day, but once a week?

2. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

They eat just about anything really.

Artic pods are too small i think, roe would be better

tankguy likes this.
  3. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

flakes, pellets, brine, whatever goes they basically eat anything like @roostertech says

mine get a mix of brine, mysis, squid and nori along with the rest of my fish

4. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Feed them ALL of it
    Regardless of what the manufacturer says, none are complete nutrition
    Feed them "appetizers" 4-6 times per day

Coral reefer likes this.
  5. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I feed my Maroon clown my hand and arm multiple times per day. He's fat and happy. I'm fat and unhappy.

tankguy, jepoy and Coral reefer like this.
  6. Kim Pattison

Kim Pattison Supporting Member

TDO from Reed Mariculture is what the breeders are using. It enhances their color.

Coral reefer likes this.
  7. Bruce Spiegelman

I've always wondered if there's any science behind "enhanced color" claims. I do feed TDO on a regular basis, but wonder if companies have done actual testing to show color enhancement -- and against what? Feeding them twinkies vs any decent marine food?

8. Chromis

Chromis Guest

You should suggest a new BRS study! One of my oscillaris clownfish would not qualify for the trial because he refuses to eat any pellet foods despite the female eating ten pellets a day right in front of him. He will go two days without eating before I put flake or frozen foods in the tank. He's the only one of the two that bites me, too.

Coral reefer and kinetic like this.
  9. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

OK thanks everyone for the input! I guess I'll just try going with my first food ideas and see how it all goes.

I used to use Formula Two marine flakes I think from Ocean Nutrition, and occasionally Hikari frozen mysis and Rod's food. Everything was pretty happy. My Sanjay Black Photon clownfish had babies regularly, and had incredible colors.

I'll probably keep it simple for now and grab a few different types of food later to mix things up.

10. Bruce Spiegelman

Almost all of these known "good" brands will be healthy choices for the fish so I think the choice should be what is best for the tank. Some foods are inherhently "dirtier" than other foods and can cause issues with Nitrates, etc. So research the cleanest foods -- it's why I use TDO for the pellet "choice."

kinetic likes this.
  11. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

When I was at Reed developing TDO, the way we arrived at the amount of astaxanthin to use was via scientific papers. Since I have left, there has been a study conducted on Reeds behalf that determined a greater amount to use.

http://reedmariculture.com/docs/RMI-Executive-Summary-of-Clownfish-Astaxanthin-Study-2017.pdf