High Tide Aquatics

what would you rec.???

i have a mag 12 pump on my 190 gallon system.... it is in bad shape replaced imperller and shaft and its still no bueno......

what pump do you rec???

another mag, eheim, quiet one???

the way my new sump is it will be ran out in open between both tanks... it will feed both tanks my 120 and my 60 flat

So I ask this not to refute the use of a the Eheim 1260 but wondering, as much for my own information. Isn't the flow on a Mag 12 significantly higher then that of a Eheim 1260? I thought base for the 1260 is around 635 and the Mag 12 is around 1200. At 4' of head the Mag 12 is like 1100ish and the Eheim is like high 500's. If he is pushing 2 tanks with likely some head, would the Eheim 1260 be enough? I think even the 1262 only pushes 900GPH with 0 head height.

I ran into a similar dilemna with my tank (though I am dealing with likely a much greater head height) between a Mag 18 and a Eheim 1262. I love Eheims but I always thought that flow rates (especially at any headheight was very subpar).

seminolecpa said:
So I ask this not to refute the use of a the Eheim 1260 but wondering, as much for my own information. Isn't the flow on a Mag 12 significantly higher then that of a Eheim 1260? I thought base for the 1260 is around 635 and the Mag 12 is around 1200. At 4' of head the Mag 12 is like 1100ish and the Eheim is like high 500's. If he is pushing 2 tanks with likely some head, would the Eheim 1260 be enough? I think even the 1262 only pushes 900GPH with 0 head height.

I ran into a similar dilemna with my tank (though I am dealing with likely a much greater head height) between a Mag 18 and a Eheim 1262. I love Eheims but I always thought that flow rates (especially at any headheight was very subpar).

its funny you post thois i was just reading up on the eheims and i ws just about to post the same question....

The reason I'm using the eheim is not for flow per say, but just for reliability. flow down to the sump is definitely pretty low on my tank, but then again sump flow shouldn't need to be too high.

Pushing two tanks, I think you'll need more like a mag. For reliability I'm all for the Eheim. They're quiet too.

i have to admit my mag was pretty quiet til i snapped the shaft and not the replacement part isnt balanced and im getting a horrible hummmm..... i think my eshopps 300 skimmer will still be louder than a mag 12/18 pump,LOL

eldiablosrt8 said:
i have to admit my mag was pretty quiet til i snapped the shaft and not the replacement part isnt balanced and im getting a horrible hummmm..... i think my eshopps 300 skimmer will still be louder than a mag 12/18 pump,LOL

oops, I also didn't mean to say mags aren't quiet. I've never had one before so I can't judge.

goodluck with the new pump

eldiablosrt8 said:

Jess,

I have run Mags for a long time. It probably has little to do with the replacement part and more to do with the damage that may have been done to the pump itself by your previously failed impellar. I had a impeller get out of wack and it damaged the area where the impellar sits. The result was that the replacement impellar rattled and hummed (ala U2) and never sat properly.

While they may be more costly, you won't replace them. I've said it this dozens of times on BAR... in all my years in reefing I have yet had a Eheim fail, but I have had dozens of MAGs fail. I've had MAGs completely melt down. I've had their cords go. I've gone through dozens of impellers. No MAG will ever go back into my tank. It's not worth the risk when I can spend a bit more money and get an Eheim.

I agree, I like Eheims much more then MAGs just wish they could make them more powerful and/ less big. Have a 1262 running my frag tank and fuge and it is bigger them my MAG 18.

The reason MAGs melt down is they're too tight and don't dissipate heat all that well. Why would Eheim follow suite on a design flaw? :D

I ran a panworld external pump to feed everything (120G, 70G, phosban reactor, carbon reactor, bio-pellet reactor) for the last 3 years (maybe 4, I don't quite remember). The pump is turned off at least once a day for feeding. Never cleaned it once, and never get stuck once (cleaning a stucked pump is a big turn off for me). The price to pay is a little more electricity and more noisy.

For internal pump, I love Eheim. My Jetstream calcium reactor use Eheim, and i never need to clean it for the last 3 years. I guess the main reason is water in calcium reactor is very acidic.

Back