Reef nutrition

what would you rec.???

eldiablosrt8 said:
why go 2 eheims($140 x2) when i can do 1 mag 12($120)???
Because you'd need two to get the flow you want, and that way if something goes wrong you still got one runnin the show. I know it's more money, but worth it to have reliability? Find one used?

seminolecpa said:
So I ask this not to refute the use of a the Eheim 1260 but wondering, as much for my own information. Isn't the flow on a Mag 12 significantly higher then that of a Eheim 1260? I thought base for the 1260 is around 635 and the Mag 12 is around 1200. At 4' of head the Mag 12 is like 1100ish and the Eheim is like high 500's. If he is pushing 2 tanks with likely some head, would the Eheim 1260 be enough? I think even the 1262 only pushes 900GPH with 0 head height.

I ran into a similar dilemna with my tank (though I am dealing with likely a much greater head height) between a Mag 18 and a Eheim 1262. I love Eheims but I always thought that flow rates (especially at any headheight was very subpar).

Bryan what is estimated flow rate pushing to your DT? Do you use some sort of mechanic filtering other than skimmer?

Average price for a used 1260 or 1262 run from $100 - $120. I've seen some being sold on RC for as low as $80. But you have to be quick to get it at that price. :D

ryanjiang said:
seminolecpa said:
So I ask this not to refute the use of a the Eheim 1260 but wondering, as much for my own information. Isn't the flow on a Mag 12 significantly higher then that of a Eheim 1260? I thought base for the 1260 is around 635 and the Mag 12 is around 1200. At 4' of head the Mag 12 is like 1100ish and the Eheim is like high 500's. If he is pushing 2 tanks with likely some head, would the Eheim 1260 be enough? I think even the 1262 only pushes 900GPH with 0 head height.

I ran into a similar dilemna with my tank (though I am dealing with likely a much greater head height) between a Mag 18 and a Eheim 1262. I love Eheims but I always thought that flow rates (especially at any headheight was very subpar).

Bryan what is estimated flow rate pushing to your DT? Do you use some sort of mechanic filtering other than skimmer?

If I had to guess, I would say maybe somewhere between 500-600 GPH assuming about a 12' or so head height and other losses along the way based on the mfg specs . Totally a SWAG though.

MAGDrivespecs_Page_2.jpg

thanks bryan i will just stick to the mag 12..... for my 4 foot or so head( not the one on my shoulder or _____) the 12 is by far best option, thanks again...

Back