Reef nutrition

what wrasses would you add???

i am going to add a few wrases over the next few days to my 120... what wrasses do you guys like and what have done well in you reef tanks???

i have a yellow,blue, and tomini and one scopas looking for a home
2x skunk clowns
2x peppermint
2x cleaner

i have jose(bluevoodoo) getting me a sixline and a green/blue leopard and maybe a black as well

what do you have exp. with and what to stay away from??? i have descent rock work to give hidding to so i think im fine there

Sixline's tend to be bullies and leopards tend ot get bullied... IMO those two are not that great of tank mates.

won't matter with those two.

You'll find I hate Sixlines. I've owned quite a few and all have been nothing but a pain. I've seen little ones take out adult coral beauties, flame angels, blue tangs, and other assorted fish by gauging out their stomach. nasty little fish, but great if you have no other fish in a frag tank as they never spot picking.

so stick to the leopards...ok sounds good. damn i knew i should of posted this earlier...LOL

besides the 2 leopards what else would be good together i need some color in this tank

Yellow Choris Wrasse and Radiant Wrasse if you have sand. Fairy wrasses are generally fine too and don't tend to need sand.

+1 on the six line as well as mystery wrasses (though mine is a model citizen).

Every tank needs a reef safe wrasse IMHO. Just helps take care of critters. mine eat AEFW's like candy when I blow them off the corals.

Carpenters wrasse are cool. Bright red. No open top. Nor sure if Christmas wrasse is reef safe, but cool
looking. Also, orchid dottyback is wrasse shaped and purple, sweet color!

I liked my solar fairy wrasse, also not requiring sand. However I have heard others have had troubles with them. Then again I never had trouble with my six line either, but then again his tankmates were a tomato clown, and a blue damsel :D

Coral reefer said:
Also, orchid dottyback is wrasse shaped and purple, sweet color!

And known for how mean it is.... Ounce for ounce Dottys are the meanist fish you can get, especially wild caught.

All pretty common and fairly easy to find:

Radiant
Christmas
dunno about the 3rd, sorry... Yellows are nice

having said that, I have never kept all 3 together.

GreshamH said:
Coral reefer said:
Also, orchid dottyback is wrasse shaped and purple, sweet color!

And known for how mean it is.... Ounce for ounce Dottys are the meanist fish you can get, especially wild caught.

I'll have to disagree with Gresham on this one...the orchids are an exception to the dottyback rule. They can easily be kept in pairs or trios and are borderline peaceful. Really atypical for a dottyback. P. sankeyi is similarly mild mannered.

Definitely agreed about the sixlines...mean SOBs!

I am lucky with a super mellow sixline, got him before I realized how most if them can be. I have a 144 with 3 orchid dottys, I always assumed we just got lucky by putting them in togther or something. They don't really act as a group, but I don't see them fight or pick on anything. Been thinking about getting one or more for my 120, hoping for ORA. MmmmmGreenMaine.
I've only had one carpenters, but it seemed to be not too agressive.

Ibn said:
Pyle's fairy
Leopard
Feminus

Those are probably my favorites.

BTW, what are you gonna do with that Tomini? :D

Ahem and prey tell where would he get on of the HIGHLY sought after yet rarely shipped Feminus wrasse?

You and half a million others... waiting in line for the handful that get shipped.

Back