Jestersix

What's a good 14K 250W SE MH bulb?

Thinking bout switching out my 20K radium's for 14K's. Any recommendations on a 14K 250W SE MH bulb? Looking for a bulb that has nice color and good coral growth. I've seen some good reviews for the 250W 14K Phoenix SE bulbs. Any other good ones out there?

+1 on the Phoenix bulbs. Im considering those for my new tank. Jeremy, any idea how the 14k ushio look as far as color? whitish with a hint of blue or more crisp white?

Sorry John, dont mean to jack your thread. :)

The Ushios are more of a true 14k, whitish blue, not a solid blue like the Phoenix. To my eyes the Phoenix washes out other colors and is not a crisp bulb at all, I have to squint to see details.

You guys know anything about the Neuco Aquastar 14500K light? Seems to be a new bulb that recently came out. So new that I can't find much info.

tuberider said:
The Ushios are more of a true 14k, whitish blue, not a solid blue like the Phoenix. To my eyes the Phoenix washes out other colors and is not a crisp bulb at all, I have to squint to see details.

Ushio 14K FTW

After doing some more research I think the Phoenix will be too blue for my likings. I'd rather go whiter than my Radiums. Anyone have a spare 250W SE Ushio 14K lying around that I can borrow or possibly sell to me?

tuberider said:
Gonzo said:
I use 4 (3 blue + and 1 fiji purple) T5's when my Phoenix 14k's are on.

Holy crap that's blue :exmark:

Hah. Youd think so, but it gives the tank a nice blue pop to compliment the MH coloration. Maybe the phoenix 14k bubls are not as blue because I'm running them on Icecap ballasts ?

Gonzo said:
tuberider said:
Gonzo said:
I use 4 (3 blue + and 1 fiji purple) T5's when my Phoenix 14k's are on.

Holy crap that's blue :exmark:

Hah. Youd think so, but it gives the tank a nice blue pop to compliment the MH coloration. Maybe the phoenix 14k bubls are not as blue because I'm running them on Icecap ballasts ?

I'm running 4 ati blue plus and 2 phoenix and it's too white for me.

I'm considering switching from a 10k Ushio (150w) to a 14k Phoenix (150w). However, since i've not seen them in person, i'm a little skeptical on doing so :(

Or if you like the Ushio and want a little more flavor the reeflux 10k has a very interesting spike, the blues are unreal, yet the bulb itself is crisp white. Not as yellow/green as the Ushio, but not a blue bulb either.

That sounds pretty sweet! I really liked the Hamilton 14k bulbs I had over the flat for awhile. Anybody else use them? Good crisp quality. Good color without seeming too blue

Back