What's a good 14K 250W SE MH bulb?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sfboarders, Jul 12, 2011.

1. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Thinking bout switching out my 20K radium's for 14K's. Any recommendations on a 14K 250W SE MH bulb? Looking for a bulb that has nice color and good coral growth. I've seen some good reviews for the 250W 14K Phoenix SE bulbs. Any other good ones out there?

2. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Ushio makes a great 14k, the Phoenix looks a little more on the 20k side, it has really high PAR values despite being very blue.

3. melly mel

melly mel Guest

+1 on the Phoenix bulbs. Im considering those for my new tank. Jeremy, any idea how the 14k ushio look as far as color? whitish with a hint of blue or more crisp white?

Sorry John, dont mean to jack your thread. :)

4. Sfork

Sfork Guest

I like the way my 14k Phoenix looks, they're cheapest on amazon.

5. tuberider

tuberider Guest

The Ushios are more of a true 14k, whitish blue, not a solid blue like the Phoenix. To my eyes the Phoenix washes out other colors and is not a crisp bulb at all, I have to squint to see details.

6. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

You guys know anything about the Neuco Aquastar 14500K light? Seems to be a new bulb that recently came out. So new that I can't find much info.

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Ushio 14K FTW

8. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

After doing some more research I think the Phoenix will be too blue for my likings. I'd rather go whiter than my Radiums. Anyone have a spare 250W SE Ushio 14K lying around that I can borrow or possibly sell to me?

9. muhli

muhli Guest

Do you guys use t5 supplements when using MHs?

10. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

With my Radium's I don't but I'm sure if I use 14K's I'll be using my Blue and 50/50 RB's.

11. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I use 4 (3 blue + and 1 fiji purple) T5's when my Phoenix 14k's are on.

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Holy crap that's blue :exmark:

13. muhli

muhli Guest

Ah, I think when I upgrade in the future Ill just use MHs only. t5 supplements are going to kill the energy bill ):

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Hah. Youd think so, but it gives the tank a nice blue pop to compliment the MH coloration. Maybe the phoenix 14k bubls are not as blue because I'm running them on Icecap ballasts ?

15. bee505

bee505 Supporting Member

I'm running 4 ati blue plus and 2 phoenix and it's too white for me.

16. Dazed1

Dazed1 Guest

I'm considering switching from a 10k Ushio (150w) to a 14k Phoenix (150w). However, since i've not seen them in person, i'm a little skeptical on doing so :(

17. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Or if you like the Ushio and want a little more flavor the reeflux 10k has a very interesting spike, the blues are unreal, yet the bulb itself is crisp white. Not as yellow/green as the Ushio, but not a blue bulb either.

18. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

That sounds pretty sweet! I really liked the Hamilton 14k bulbs I had over the flat for awhile. Anybody else use them? Good crisp quality. Good color without seeming too blue

19. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Definitely more blue...maybe just add a blue led strip? Reefbrites are sweet!

20. tuberider

tuberider Guest

The Hammies are cool, the PAR sucks though.