Jestersix

What's going on with my scoly?

Yea, just the bare spot at 12 o clock. No corals/nem's anywhere near him. Any of these fish like Scoly's: Moorish Idol, Copper Band Butterfly, Starry Blenny, Gumdrop Goby, Yellow Tang?

iCon said:
Moorish Idol maybe...But I doubt that would make you get rid of him ;)

I was jut reading up on how they nip at LPS. I've had him for a year and never seen him nip at anything other than a war coral I got a few weeks ago. I've had an Acan for about 4 months and he hasn't touched it. :~

Yea, there'd have to be something really HUGE for me to remove him from the tank. I love that guy!

Watch the copperband. They are notorious for eating scoly's. Any corals that show ill-health or weakness are very very irresistable. They like that place where the tissue meets te skeleton.

Also, since you mention that you just got it, it's possible that it hit the side of the bag in transport and pushed the skeleton through the tissue. Some LPS have trouble expanding past the skeleton after this happens, especially if algae grows on the spot. It should go away soon though if this is the case.

I hope it's the transport issue. I'd hate to have my MI or CBB nipping at expensive Aussie Scolys :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Definitely keep an eye on it regardless of what I said, I just wanted to point out that it's not 100% certain a fish did that. If it persists more than a week or gets any bigger start painting targets on fish.

UPDATE:

Scoly is looking MUCH better. It's inflating outwards and I can barely see the spot where it was nipped/hit the bag. Here's to hoping it never happens again!! :)

Back