Jestersix

What's up with SeaChem Reef Salt?

Mr. Ugly

Past President
So I'm finally starting up a display tank again, a 150g acrylic.

I filled the tank with water and gradually added the salt. I have a couple Koralia Magnum 7's in the tank.

It's been mixing for 24+ hours, and the water is still cloudy.

What's up with that?

I had the same issue when swapping tanks, water stayed cloudy in the mixing tub but when I turned the pump off and after an hour or so it cleared; at the bottom of the tub there was some sort of white undissolved powder.

That's normal. Some weeks the bucket mixes clear, others cloudy. I add them either way. There is residue in the mixing bucket most times.

I did all the mixing in the tank. About to dump in a bunch of live rock in a few minutes. Maybe it'll clear up once I turn on the skimmer.

Norm I had to stop using it for that reason, I was doing 20% water changes and the tanks weren't clearing for over 24 hrs, I sure got some complaints about that. It will clear up though, usually towards the 48hr mark.

I called SeaChem about it and they acknowledged the problem and steered me towards Aquavitro while sweetening the deal :)

in short the response i got from seachem was, to be able to match real ocean water they have to add more than average calcium to mimic real ocean water.
i mix it for a day or 2 in a 65 gallon barrel and wipe it clean when im done transferring it to jugs. even though its a pain in the a$$ to mix, i find to to be the best salt Ive used.

also when adding it to the tank keep your power heads running, the water will clear up eventually....

most salt mixes often end up cloudy. OT taught me a trick. when mixing the water ziptie a filter sock at the end of a hose attached to the mixing pump and watch the clear water happen right before your eyes. works everytime.

Back