Whats wrong with my leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) ?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by melly mel, Apr 12, 2010.

1. melly mel

melly mel Guest

Why is my leopards colors looking pale? When i got it, its upper part was a nice bright orange color now its looking pale. Been a little over a month now since introduced in the tank. other fish in the tank leave it alone so dont think its stress issue. I feed rods food and it eats like a pig. I feed about a half inch piece twice a day. Tank is stable, good amount of sand. all other live stock is thriving.

Last time i tested....about week ago.
    CAL 480
    ALK 8.6 DKH
    MAG 1350
    NITRATE 0
    PHOS 0

I just realized how old my nitrate test kit is so i may need to get a new one...hopefully its not a big difference.

Any idea what the problem might be? Would hate to lose it especially if its something that i might be overlooking.

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

They acclimate horribly to aquarium life, could just be that fact alone.

I doubt any of your test kits can show 0, more like it's "below the resolution of the test kit" :D

3. melly mel

melly mel Guest

Hopefully it comes back...its such a bad ass fish imo. My LFS had them for a little over 3 weeks before i picked one up. They were looking great and eating in the store. Should i try switching or alternating different foods?

Meant to say "does not register on the kit". :p

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Just busting your chops about the 0 :lol:

yah I would try different foods for sure. Give each one you try a few days though at least/

What are you feeding now, and how often?

5. melly mel

melly mel Guest

Figured you were Gresh, no offense taken either way! :beer:

Right now I feed Rods food and i mix in extra mysis and spirulina brine. about a half teaspoon twice a day. Was thinking of picking up some flake or pellets. What do you all suggest for flakes or pellets?

6. SoulFish

SoulFish Guest

thera a+

Just be careful I think it has copper in it as an anti parasitic food.

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

copper is also for over all fish health. Most quality fish feeds (pellets & flakes) should have some in there.

8. Swampy Bill

Swampy Bill Guest

The first few months with leopards are touch & go...I've lost one out of four divided leopards myself. I suggest you switch to feeding PE mysis & soak in selcon twice weekly. Good luck!

9. treylane

treylane Guest

... I've had a few of these guys... and if you say She's acting alright, poking around the rocks, eating well, etc, sounds a bit dubious that it's disease or stress... you sure She's not becoming a He?

[​IMG]