Reef nutrition

when do you use your external flash

Whenever the ambient light drops to a point where I can no longer get a sharp pic.. Sometimes outside in bright daylight I'll use it for fill..

I use my pop up flash to trigger my external flash which is usually mounted on my tripod somewhere closer to the subject as filler from the side. Sometimes I use my popup for more filler. I only do this in broad daylight... sometimes.

Ideally you want to always be able to use ambient light, afterall, it's the most natural. What flash can do for you is counter harsh shadows or brighten up your main subject.

When it's dark, I try to set my ISO high and shoot wide open. The hardest lighting I've had was at the Yardbarker NFL Hall of Fame Fantasy draft, shooting people in literally dark darkness was impossible, let alone focusing. I ended up using my flash a lot, and/or my video cameraman's fill light =) Results were not that great. Jerry rice is really dark, in a dark room, it's tough:

2687780313_99cc85a06f.jpg

But for some reason whenever there are girls in the shot, they're always well lit:

Darren McFadden:

2688597168_a1f560da5c.jpg

Of course somehow my camera picked up the 49'er girls fine:

2688589368_6684c48717.jpg

not to upset the Raiders fans, but what was Darren McFadden doing at a Hall of Fame event? Wanted to see something he'll never achieve feels like? :D

Darren is one of yardbarker's verified athletes, so we invited him out. Ronnie Lott is an awesome guy, he was fine with getting anyone into the event. Ronnie has a huge influence in the NFL, he can basically call any football player up and tell them to goto his charity event, and they'd be there.

More shots from that event, almost all taken with a SB-600 mounted on the hotshoe.
http://flickr.com/photos/kinetic/sets/72157606287173128/

Back