Neptune Aquatics

When should you frag corals you got back into DBTC?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Ok after hearing various peoples takes on when it's appropriate to give frags back into DBTC, I'm curious what people really think. Feel free to vote, you don't even have to make a comment about it, it's all anonymous :D

well..I can't vote because your poll isn;t mutually exclusive :p

I traditionally frag after it is established and growing well in my system until I can make frags equal to what I got which is sometimes a mini colony.

If the coral grows well (or is a good size to begin with) I'll frag it into 3rds as early as possible and then grow it out to the size I got.

Just started with DBTC. I'll frag once the frags get large enough to cut 2 frags from it and the leftover piece is still a large sized frag.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm not looking to see a set rules or something, however the "Thread starter makes the rules" rules of the program sometimes does get a big ambiguous about when you should actually make the frags that you put back into the program.

For SPS what I'll typically do is as soon as it's starting to encrust on the frag plug is when I'll frag plus that gives that added bonus of the base get light for a longer period of time.

For something like LPS I'll wait until I have enough heads to safely cut a couple/few off for the next person.

This is a good thread. It gives me some guidelines. I found out that I can actually frag my frags! Now, If I only had a dremmel...

Back