Cali Kid Corals

Where can I find these?

Ibn

Saw these very briefly on LiveAquaria, but they were gone before I could do anything about it. Anyone know where I can find these suckers?

Apogon parvulus
apogon_parvulus.jpg

Tryssogobius colini
tryssogobius_colini.jpg

The apagons are an awesome fish, but just like many in their family, they are very poor shippers :(

That would be awesome to find a shoal :)

The parvulus are really cool. We have about 10 at work. The are supposed to be bad shippers and acclimaters, but we have had good luck so far. We fed them 4 times a day, whatever they would eat, starting with live brine. The transitioned well to being on show, and now have a micro pellet auto feeder that feeds them 4 times a day. The seem to like hikari mysis.

Live aquaria would be your best bet. Send them an email and see if they will get them in for you. I know there were a ton on the QM list last week. If I ever bother to catch my chromis out of my home tank, I would try to get a bunch of them.

I've lost every single parvulus I tried to import :( It's tough seeing 100 dead ones :(

The Tryssogobius colini shouldn't be too hard to find, even locally, if you put in a request. They come in routinely. The parvulus don't. They are much harder to find.

Thales said:
If I ever bother to catch my chromis out of my home tank, I would try to get a bunch of them.

Do the apogon parvulus not get along with chromis or is it just a total population thing?

GreshamH said:
I've lost every single parvulus I tried to import :( It's tough seeing 100 dead ones :(

The Tryssogobius colini shouldn't be too hard to find, even locally, if you put in a request. They come in routinely. The parvulus don't. They are much harder to find.

Dang, that sucks.

I'm gonna email Live Aquaria and see if I can get some through them.

Sounds like a solid plan. If Rich says they're on the QM list, LA should be able to get them no problem. QM's acclimation system is light years beyond what we used. This is also what, 5-6 years after I last tried so they've probably got the export side down much better on them.

Thanks. I just sent the email off so just gotta wait for a reply now.

I've purchased from LA before and their acclimation/quarantine is top notch. I'm just never around when they list fish that I actually am interested in. :(

So much for special order. Got the following reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize as we are unable to special order live stock. We recommend signing up for our Diver's Den email alert and/or RSS Feed.

Looks like I'll have to take a look at local sources and see if they can find some on their list from QM.

The red-spot guys were available in LA (at SDC) last fall, but most of the (socal) stores I talked to about em wouldn't pick em up - said they'd been there, done that, and they rarely survived the couple-hours drive from the wholesaler to the LFS.

The same stores DID manage to get the gobies in, and I'm pretty sure I saw the same gobies in the store on multiple visits over several weeks...

There's actually 5 of them at the LFS down there right now. They've been there for ~2 months now and have been faring well. Hoping that someone up here can bring some in. Otherwise, I'll have to pick up those 5.

Back