Neptune Aquatics

Where did all the fancy zoas and paly’s come from?

Back in the day zoas and palys were all brown or light tan for the most part. If you were lucky there might be a small green or orange/yellow eye. Now there’s all these crazy colours! Weren’t they collecting in these areas before? Or were all the “cool” ones saved for special customers and never made it to retail?

Just wondering……

-Gregory

Back in the day most Palys/Zoas came from stateside collections (going way back here), at the point when you could get Florida live rock, I had it in my first reef tank 20+ years ago. When more corals became available from the Indo Pacific we saw a huge inflx of nice stuff and that was back in the mid 90s, only in the past decade or so did the demand for nice Zoas expose them, they've actually been there for quite a while, but the demand for other corals overshadowed them until the craze started. At WWA where I used to work eons ago, we had a colony of blue Palys with gold sparkles, they were amazing, I haven't seen those anywhere else and I'd be afraid to know how much they'd sell for now.

Stateside and Baja Jeremy :) Neither place has much in the way of super color.

Just 10 years ago the collectors (non stateside) had no clue what to look for and what ever they produced was happily snatched up. The internet really helped shape what they should look for.

tuberider said:
At WWA where I used to work eons ago, we had a colony of blue Palys with gold sparkles, they were amazing, I haven't seen those anywhere else and I'd be afraid to know how much they'd sell for now.

Don't you know those are the Northern Lights Stargazer Hornet palys.

I really think its about who can pick the craziets name and throw a price on it and see how it goes. Like the People eater morphs out there. There are like 20 all from the.original purples. I see.photos of tanks from back in the day and see nothing but brown and they were the talk of the town. Now that's crazy. Even now the new thing is Aussie this and Aussie that.

Back